Re: draft-eng-nalawade-ospf-tunnel-cap-00.txt

Gargi Nalawade <gargi@CISCO.COM> Mon, 10 November 2003 20:47 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:47:32 -0800
From: Gargi Nalawade <gargi@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: draft-eng-nalawade-ospf-tunnel-cap-00.txt
Comments: cc: swkeng@cisco.com, ppsenak@cisco.com
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your comments.

Rahul Aggarwal wrote:

> Following up on this thread, I have the following concerns with this
> document:
>
> 1. Tunnels are used both intra and inter domains. Thus tunnel

Not always. There are tunnels which are purely intra-domain as well.

> capabilities have to be propagated across domains as well. Hence IGP is
> imho not appropriate for this application.
>
> 2. Tunnel capabilities are not used by core routeres.
>
> 3. There are existing documents that specify the use of BGP for this:
> draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-tunnel-encap-sig-01.txt
> draft-nalawade-kapoor-tunnel-safi-01.txt

The above BGP solutions can be used only in BGP networks. There are
BGP-free networks that require tunneling Capabilities as well and we
are receiving requests from those customers to provide a complementary
solution that does not rely on BGP being present.

Also - for the 2 specific drafts mentioned above, BGP uses the routes
learnt through an IGP to resolve the nexthop to BGP prefixes. But in
the presence of tunnels, this reachability is not sufficient and the
reachability via the tunnels has to be propagated as well. The BGP
solution has been created purely for the inter-Provider case where there
is no inter-AS mechanism other than BGP to propagate that. But within
a given network, when the tunnels are required only within an AS or domain,
the IGP provides the reachability to the Tunnel end-point and hence is the
right place to carry the tunnel reachability information as well.

> Hence imho OSPF WG should not take on this work.

Hence I believe that the IGP is the right place to carry the above and
IMHO, the OSPF WG should take on this work.

Thanks,
Gargi