Re: draft comments : 2740 update

Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM> Sat, 21 January 2006 00:58 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:01:29 -0500
From: Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: draft comments : 2740 update
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Mitchell,

Erblichs wrote:

>Acee, et al,
>
>	This is getting messy..
>
>	I guess you raised to me what seems like a bigger
>	question. Should generic protocol RFCs (Ex:2740) at
>	the time of creation or modificiation attempt to
>	generate an illusion of completeness?
>
>	If this is so, then yes, I would like to see at least
>	all exceptions to common expected practices that could
>	be "hidden" within one of tens of RFCs.

When the exception needs to be documented for the specification to be
correct, I'll
add it or re-word the text. I am not going to document every exception
every time
a given protocol construct is mentioned. As Editor, I'll make the
determination of
whether or not a suggestion adds value or simply bulk.

>	Yes, I would like to see a Reference to Graceful Restart
>	within this spec, if and only if (iff) it is a publicly
>	documented spec AND it is(to become) common. Else,
>	how would the people who read the V2 or V3 specs just
>	know of its existance.
>
>	Ex: So, who can find me in what RFC totally stubby area
>	support is defined? NSSA is Ref in v3 and v2.

RFC 3101 is the definitive source for OSPF NSSA. The OSPFv3 unique encodings
and protocol processing are included in the draft. If any are missing,
please bring them
forward.

>	And, i think we SHOULD make these RFCs with as minimal
>	amount of ambiguity as possible and cross-reference them
>	as freq as possible, to make sure that ALL curently supported
>	implimnetations support a common set of features.
>
>	Thus, if major changes were being done, yes, I would
>	also suggest incorporation how each LSA type with its
>	various scope is handled in stubs, totally stubby,
>	not so totally stubby, etc area interactions.
>
>	So, the RFC had/has the GM LSA as one of the 9 types
>	and a separate RFC defines its processing, so I did
>	see a need to include it, because it is slated for
>	removal. But as it should be clear, at best IMO it
>	should at most go to reserve with the type value and
>	not reused. It could then be covered with other unknown
>	types as you stated in a earlier email.
>I've change this to "each router on the network with
>neighbor
>state 1-Way or greater".
>

>	Yes, I agree, this is more accurate, But it looses
>	the implicit hello pkt to hello pkt field exchange.

This section describes the hello packet format.

>>Since this section is defining RouterDeadInterval, I'm not sure we want
>>to try and document
>>every case where it isn't applicable.
>>

>	Why not? :)
>	Actually, in general, I would expect us to list at least
>	A FEW exceptions as we see them and indicate in a footnote
>	that the list may not be ALL encompassing.
>
>	Else, we should consider it as an equiv as a Architectural
>	constant.

I disagree. It isn't really necessary. If one is going to implement
demand circuits one must
consult RFC 1793. I'd reconsider if you can garner the support of
others. Otherwise, give it
up.

>>There is not agreement in the WG on whether or not these little
>>implementation tweaks
>>which have been practice for many years should be documented in an
>>informational RFC.
>>

>	If "little implemenatation tweaks" are common public
>	practice, then at least they should be documented/ standardized,
>	IMO.

My previous suggestion on who to collaborate with still holds.

Thanks,
Acee