Re: draft comments : 2740 update

Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET> Tue, 24 January 2006 04:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:16:27 -0800
From: Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: draft comments : 2740 update
Comments: To: pmurphy@noc.usgs.net
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Acee,
		This is an example of items that IMO SHOULD have
		at least mention the new area type within
		the V2 and V3 mods to OSPF.

		FYI to readers: Well known OSPF implimentors
		had publicly documented an area type
		known as "Totally Stubby" that removes
		all Type-3 LSAs, except a single type-3
		to advertise the default route. This was
		done YEARS ago.

		3101 now has the ImportSummmaries
		of the NSSA RFC that covers the usage
		of Type-3 LSAs and when NOT-ENABLED,
		transforms support for the "Totally Stubby"
		area type.

		---->RFC 3101 Suggested line addition.

		2.7 Optionally Importing Summary Routes
		"This alternate type-3 behaviour is part of a
		sub-area type known as "Totally Stubby".
		--------------

		So, In general I would have expected that the
		original and newer v3 specs to explicitly mention
		the sub, NSSA, and the totally
		stubby area type, with the last one mentioning a
		possible change of behaviour of LSA type-3s. This
		is because alot of readers will not associate the
		well known area type of "Totally Stubby", with
		this new change.

		Mitchell Erblich