Re: draft comments : 2740 update

Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM> Tue, 24 January 2006 18:58 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:57:44 -0500
From: Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: draft comments : 2740 update
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Mitchell,

Erblichs wrote:

>Acee,
>		This is an example of items that IMO SHOULD have
>		at least mention the new area type within
>		the V2 and V3 mods to OSPF.
>
>		FYI to readers: Well known OSPF implimentors
>		had publicly documented an area type
>		known as "Totally Stubby" that removes
>		all Type-3 LSAs, except a single type-3
>		to advertise the default route. This was
>		done YEARS ago.
>
>		3101 now has the ImportSummmaries
>		of the NSSA RFC that covers the usage
>		of Type-3 LSAs and when NOT-ENABLED,
>		transforms support for the "Totally Stubby"
>		area type.
>
>		---->RFC 3101 Suggested line addition.
>
>		2.7 Optionally Importing Summary Routes
>		"This alternate type-3 behaviour is part of a
>		sub-area type known as "Totally Stubby".
>		--------------
>
>		So, In general I would have expected that the
>		original and newer v3 specs to explicitly mention
>		the sub, NSSA, and the totally
>		stubby area type, with the last one mentioning a
>		possible change of behaviour of LSA type-3s. This
>		is because alot of readers will not associate the
>		well known area type of "Totally Stubby", with
>		this new change.

Characterizing an NSSA or stub area with ImportSummaries enabled as a
"Totally Stubby"
is not necessary to understand or implement the NSSA specification. I
believe the
term was coined by my current employer and later adopted by other
vendors. However,
that doesn't mean it needs to be part of the standard. Notice that
nobody has you configure
these as new area types. I did add "ImportSummaries" to appendix C.2.

Any other opinions?

Thanks,
Acee