Re: [OSPF] OSPF Hybrid Broadcast and P2MP Interface Type

Anton Smirnov <asmirnov@cisco.com> Thu, 09 December 2010 22:19 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 22:58:21 +0100
From: Anton Smirnov <asmirnov@cisco.com>
To: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzhang@juniper.net>
Cc: "ospf@ietf.org" <ospf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPF Hybrid Broadcast and P2MP Interface Type

   Hi Jeffrey,

> We developed the solution for a real network situation

It's a bit hard to see value of the proposal without knowing more about
possible network scenarios where this solution may be applicable.
Situations when cost to each neighbor is different usually mean that L2
paths to them are different. Bunch of separate L2 connections are
grouped together and presented to OSPF on L3 as single multiaccess
interface - but underneath it is L2 point-to-multipoint network. So
saying that Hello packet propagation is more optimal is not true -
replication is just moved from OSPF to lower level.

Thinking of network solutions which could benefit from assigning
different cost to each neighbor I come up with things like VPLS, Metro
Ethernet. May be fixed radio networks. But these all are L2 p2mp
networks. Multiaccess is just emulated and benefits of using it are
ephemeral.

Anton