Re: [OSPF] OSPF Hybrid Broadcast and P2MP Interface Type

"Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzhang@juniper.net> Fri, 10 December 2010 18:35 UTC

From: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <zzhang@juniper.net>
To: Anton Smirnov <asmirnov@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:35:26 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ospf@ietf.org" <ospf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPF Hybrid Broadcast and P2MP Interface Type

Aton,

It is difficult to go into too much details, but there are real examples of true-broadcast radio networks where the bw/delay is different between different pairs of radios.

> It's a bit hard to see value of the proposal without knowing
> more about
> possible network scenarios where this solution may be applicable.
> Situations when cost to each neighbor is different usually
> mean that L2
> paths to them are different. Bunch of separate L2 connections are
> grouped together and presented to OSPF on L3 as single multiaccess
> interface - but underneath it is L2 point-to-multipoint network. So
> saying that Hello packet propagation is more optimal is not true -
> replication is just moved from OSPF to lower level.

Even so you still have the benefit of reduced number of adjacencies.

> Thinking of network solutions which could benefit from assigning
> different cost to each neighbor I come up with things like VPLS, Metro
> Ethernet. May be fixed radio networks. But these all are L2 p2mp
> networks. Multiaccess is just emulated and benefits of using it are
> ephemeral.

Multiacess could be emulated in such a way that minimum replication happens - in that case the benefit is real.

The key is that the lower layer is presented to L3 as multi-access and we could/should take advantage of it.

Thanks.

Jeffrey

.txt in Beijing (slides > http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/79/slides/ospf-9.ppt) and it