Re: Update to OSPF Hello procedure[draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt]

Paul Jakma <paul@CLUBI.IE> Sat, 31 December 2005 16:06 UTC

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:05:43 +0000
From: Paul Jakma <paul@CLUBI.IE>
Subject: Re: Update to OSPF Hello procedure[draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt]
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Hi,

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Kouzengjie wrote:

> The draft can be found here:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt

GNU Zebra's (and hence Quagga's) ospfd has done something like this
for a long time now (a subset at least, send hello immediately if
neighbour state changes into state Init).

One thing, might it be an idea to specify that the Immediate Hello be
/independent/ of the Hello-Interval timer? (ie dont set or reset the
interface's Hello timer because of any Immediate Hello sent).
Otherwise, there'll be strong tendency for the HelloInterval timers
across routers to latch. Not sure how much this matters.

Also, it might be an idea to add some state (e.g. a delay factor,
some arbitrary protocol constant, 100ms or somesuch) to prevent
Immediate-Hello storms if, for whatever reason, neighbour states fail
to progress pass ExStart and fall back to Init. Some types of links
are quite sensitive to L2 congestion for example.

6.1.1. Is there a good reason why pre-2-Way Immediate-Hellos are to
be sent unicast?

If you happen to process multiple neighbour state changes (e.g.
because of the delay factor on a previous immediate hello, or because
the implementation chooses to define 'immediate' as 'very small
delay'), one Immediate-Hello to AllSPFRouters can take care of all of
them - rather than having to send multiple unicast hellos to each
neighbour.

I.e. it might be an idea to just drop the modifications proposed in
6.1.1.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A