Re: [OSPF] OSPF HMAC Cryptographic Authentication

Manav Bhatia <manav_bhatia06@yahoo.co.uk> Tue, 25 July 2006 14:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:34:33 +0000
From: Manav Bhatia <manav_bhatia06@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPF HMAC Cryptographic Authentication
To: Phil Cowburn <phil.cowburn@gmail.com>, vishwas.ietf@gmail.com
Cc: ospf@ietf.org

Hi Phil,

RFC 2104 has the C code that allows the text being hashed to be of an arbitary length; the only restriction imposed is that the length must be a multiple of 8 bits (octet). If you look at draft-eastlake-sha2-02.txt then it allows the text to be hashed to contain an arbitary number of bits.

Similarly, the code in RFC 3174 is a "byte-level"implementation. The same draft allows the text to be of an arbitary length. It adds to the RFC 3174 API an additional call,
SHA1FinalBits(), that lets the remaining bits to be added to the hash.

I would prefer to refer to this draft as it (i) has full support for all the SHA2 algorithms and (ii) adds HMAC support for both SHA1 and SHA2 algorithms.

Thanks,
Manav