Re: [p2pi] draft-livingood-woundy-p4p-experiences-02 posted

Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net> Wed, 05 November 2008 16:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:23:29 -0800
From: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>
To: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@cable.comcast.com>, p2pi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [p2pi] draft-livingood-woundy-p4p-experiences-02 posted
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

Hello Jason/Rich,

This is such an interesting draft. I'm surprised there are no questions
about it. Maybe everybody else is part of P4P one way or another and I'm not
in the 'in' crowd (;-) so I have questions.

* What was the file size in those experiments? Some post long ago said the
file size in some P4P experiments was really small, as opposed to the top
100 torrents where the file size is ~1Gb. I was curious what is the
optimization payback in terms of download time for large files as opposed
small files.

* How long would it take to download the file in the three different
scenarios? I know that more consumed bandwidth in access might lead one to
conclude that file was downloaded faster but I'm not sure this is a
straightforward conclusion.

* Was the file already seeded in Comcast's network? More specifically, how
was file propagation done? All clients started from scratch and had to start
pulling the file from some other side of the world and then exchanging
pieces? This is mainly due to the discussion in 4.2.

* Was PEX, DHT and others enabled in the clients?

* Was local peer discovery enabled in the clients? BTW, can
broadcast/multicast peer discovery work in Cable networks?

* If more clients finish downloading faster and become seeders you would
think that for popular content Comcast's upstream bandwidth would increase
due to the number of seeder in its network. So, were clients allowed to
become seeders to the outside of Comcast's network? How much of the swarm
was within Comcast and outside?

Thanks,

Reinaldo