[p2p-sip] Revised concepts draft

eunsoo at research.panasonic.com (Eunsoo Shim) Tue, 22 August 2006 19:42 UTC

From: "eunsoo at research.panasonic.com"
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:42:36 -0400
Subject: [p2p-sip] Revised concepts draft

Dean Willis wrote:

> Ok, let me re-state the question.
>
> How can we better illustrate what we mean by the concepts and terms
> in the concepts and terminology draft?
>
> I'd like to have it make even MORE sense to a green-field reader.
>
> Is a high level discussion of a few use-cases something that would be
> helpful?

I am not sure I understand exactly what 'a high level discussion' means.
But please let me propose a way to illustrate some of the architectural
components.

For example, the basic role of the P2PSIP Overlay Peer Protocol can be
illustrated by simply showing a diagram of an overlay network consisting
of two types of nodes (Peers, Clients) and how a query for a P2PSIP
Overlay User Routing Record is performed. I think the diagram can be
similar to Figure 2 in draft-shim-sipping-p2p-arch-00.txt. An example of
P2PSIP Overlay User Routing Record also can be illustrated in the query
procedure.

The concept of Proxy Peer can be illustrated by showing a system and a
call prcedure in which a CS SIP UA calls a UA Peer or UA Client. Figure
3 and 4 in draft-shim-sipping-p2p-arch-00.txt are examples of such a
diagram.

Certainly there may be many ways to explain the terminology and
concepts. I think since all the terminology and concepts are general,
not specific to any use case, those can be illustrated with general or
abstract scenarios/procedures as proposed above. I will be happy to
provide such illustrations for other terms. However, if you feel there
is a better way and it requires to use a specific use case, please
proceed to work on it. I will be hapy to work with you on that, too.

Thanks.

Eunsoo