[p2p-sip] Revised Draft Charter for P2PSIP

philip_matthews at magma.ca (Philip Matthews) Fri, 22 September 2006 17:24 UTC

From: "philip_matthews at magma.ca"
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:24:03 -0400
Subject: [p2p-sip] Revised Draft Charter for P2PSIP

Henry:

Eric Cooper and I have spent quite a bit of time recently working on
ICE to make sure it is suitable for P2PSIP systems.

Back in April, when we first looked at ICE, it worked well when one
peer was behind a NAT and the other had a public IP address, but was
somewhat inefficient due to duplicated checks when both endpoints
were behind (separate) NATs. We published a draft just before the
Montreal meeting that proposed changes to the state machine to
eliminate that problem (draft-matthews-mmusic-ice-eliminating-
duplicates-00), and have since collaborated with Jonathan on this
issue so that the current version of ICE (ICE-10) handles this case
much better.

At present, I don't believe that any changes are required to ICE-UDP
itself to make it more suitable for P2PSIP systems. (I haven't looked
at ICE-TCP in detail yet). The only questions now are around how one
uses ICE in a P2PSIP network, and here at Avaya we are currently
investigating this issue, building on our proposals in draft-matthews-
p2psip-nats-and-overlays-00.

- Philip