RE: [Pana] AD review of draft-ietf-dhc-paa-option-04.txt

"MORAND Lionel RD-CORE-ISS" <lionel.morand@orange-ft.com> Mon, 16 October 2006 14:13 UTC

Subject: RE: [Pana] AD review of draft-ietf-dhc-paa-option-04.txt
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:00:41 +0200
From: MORAND Lionel RD-CORE-ISS <lionel.morand@orange-ft.com>
To: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, pana@ietf.org
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>, Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>

 Hi Jari,

> > 1. Clarify the role of this option in the decision
> >     of the PANA client to start using PANA, and
> >     the relationship of PANA usage in the network
> >     to the DHCP server's decision to send this option.
> >
> >     Currently, the document is silent on these points.
>
> To me, the silence suggested (and I assumed) this option is
> merely used to discover the PAA address. It does not mean
> that the host MUST use PANA if it requests this option, or
> the access network MUST use PANA if it delivers this option.
> I think this semantics is aligned with the use of other DHCP options.
>
> Does this make sense?

[Lionel] I had the same interpretation. This DHCP option is used as a
mean to retrieve the PAA address and not to mandate any specific
behavior of the DHCP client receiving this option. I'm not even aware
about such an ability to mandate specific client behavior by using a
DHCP option.

> >     When I first read the document, I assumed that
> >     the option is used as a dynamic mechanism to
> >     tell the client when PANA is required in the
> >     network.  However, the document does not say
> >     that PANA-capable clients must always
> >     request this option, and as a result, it is
> >     not clear how clients find out. Similarly,
> >     does the server send this if and
> >     only if PANA is required to gain
> >     access from this network? This seems
> >     obvious, but the document says nothing.

[Lionel] It's true that no guideline is provided about the behavior of
the DHCP client/server in the draft. At least, a strong recommendation
could be given:

"A PaC SHOULD request the PAA DHCPv4 Option in a Parameter Request List
as described in [RFC2131] and [RFC2132].
If configured with a (list of) PAA address(es), a DHCPv4 server SHOULD
send a client with the PAA DHCPv4 option, even if this option is not
explicitly requested by the client."

Of course, the same logic would apply for the IPv6 case.

If we can accept that a PaC may have the address of the PAA by
configuration means, the "SHOULD" seems more appropriate here than a
"MUST".

Could it be acceptable?

BR,

Lionel