RE: [Pana] AD review of draft-ietf-dhc-paa-option-04.txt

"Alper Yegin" <alper.yegin@yegin.org> Sun, 17 December 2006 23:23 UTC

From: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>
To: 'MORAND Lionel RD-CORE-ISS' <lionel.morand@orange-ftgroup.com>, 'Jari Arkko' <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Subject: RE: [Pana] AD review of draft-ietf-dhc-paa-option-04.txt
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:23:04 +0200
Cc: pana@ietf.org

I think it is best if we didn't get into "L2 point of view security," etc.
I'd like to suggest this re-write instead:

In most of the networks, the DHCP exchange that delivers the options prior
to network access authentication is neither integrity protected nor origin
authenticated. Therefore, the options defined in this document MUST NOT be
used to perform any negotiation on the use of PANA between the PaC and a
PAA. For instance, using the presence (or absence) of these DHCP options as
an indication of network mandating PANA authentication (or not) is such a
negotiation. This negotiation would allow bidding down attacks by making the
clients choose to use a lower-grade security mechanism (or even no security
at all).

Alper