Re: [Pana] status of wg documents

<Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com> Mon, 08 June 2009 21:20 UTC

From: Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
To: gwz@net-zen.net
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 23:20:20 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: pana@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pana] status of wg documents

Hi Glen,

Your willingness to take on the editorship of this I-D had been noted.
However here are a few reasons why I think it is better to drop working on
this I-D:
1. The I-D has not been revised since 2005. It is not just editorial
corrections that need to be made. The base protocol itself has evolved quite
a bit since 2005. Additionally there were review comments received in 2005
which were never addressed. And from my recollection, these were not just
editorial ones.

2. I do not expect to receive reviews from WG members even if the I-D were
to be updated. Hence taking a document to the IESG for publication without
sufficient reviews is futile.

3. The WG is better off using whatever cycles of energy are left on
completing any other I-Ds which are considered more useful w.r.t PANA.

As I have said in an earlier email, I do not see IPsec essentially being
used as a means to secure the access link (between the PaC and EP). Either
the link technology itself has its own security mechanism or the client
simply uses IPsec VPNs if security is desired. There is no real
justification for this solution now. This conclusion is derived from
discussions and work over the past few years in PANA.

-Raj