Re: [Pana] Explicit error indication

Yoshihiro Ohba <yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp> Tue, 31 May 2011 14:22 UTC

Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 23:21:46 +0900
From: Yoshihiro Ohba <yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp>
To: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>
Cc: pana@ietf.org, 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Pana] Explicit error indication

Hi Alper,

In the first part of your email, PRE-to-PRE error indication is
mentioned.  I only considered PRE-to-PaC error indication in my
previous email, but I think we can support PRE-to-PRE error indication
as well.  I think both PRY with an error indication AVP and a new
error indication message can be workable here, but
a Result-Code AVP may not be appropriate for temporal errors (see
below) because the use of a Result-Code AVP is to indicate whether EAP
authentication was completed successfully.

For PRE-to-PaC error indication, I thought that using a
Result-Code for that purpose has an impact on existing RFC 5191
implementations that do not expect to receive a Result-Code in the
first PAR with the 'S' bit set, because in the current use of a
Result-Code is for the last PAR message with the 'C' bit set, but RFC
5191 explicitly prohibits to set both the 'S' bit and 'C' bit at the
same time.  So I thought defining a new message (just as we define
PRY) has less impact on RFC 5191 as an implementation that does not
support the new message will simply discard the message and the
initial PAR-PAN exchange part is kept intact.  Maybe I am missing
something.  If a Result-Code in the initial PAR works without
impacting on RFC 5191, then I am also ok with it.

Regarding types of error, some error can be temporary.  For example,
temporal buffer shortage or temporal routing fluctuations (e.g., even
if the PRE has the  PAA information there may be no next hop towards
the PAA), both can be recoverable (so a PaC may retry PANA
authentication later on).  I think it would be good we can
support both non-temporal and temporal errors as long as the impact on
RFC 5191 is low.

Regarding which session identifier should be used for a new message
for error indication, I think the session id contained in the message
that caused the error should be used.  When the error indication
message is sent in response to PCI or PRY, then session id is zero,
otherwise non-zero.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba