Re: [payload] New version of draft-ietf-payload-vp8

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Thu, 10 September 2015 10:28 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:28:22 +0100
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
Cc: payload-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-payload-vp8@tools.ietf.org, payload@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [payload] New version of draft-ietf-payload-vp8

> On 9 Sep 2015, at 23:12, Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> wrote:
>
> On 9 Sep 2015, at 16:01, Henrik Lundin wrote:
>
>> We have made no technical changes to the document, but have added a number of grammar updates and clarifications. Some of the important clarifications are as follows:
>
> Payload participants: Please note that there are in fact changes to 2119 language in this version. I won't quibble about whether or not those count as "technical" changes, but please take a moment to review them. If people object to any of them please say so asap , as this draft will likely be on the agenda for the IESG telechat next week.

The new text about the Payload Type in Section 4.1 says:

  Payload type (PT):  In line with the policy in Section 3 of
     [RFC3551], applications using the VP8 RTP payload profile MUST
     assign a dynamic payload type number to be used in each RTP
     session and provide a mechanism to indicate the mapping.  See
     Section 6.2 for the mechanism to be used with the Session
     Description Protocol (SDP) [RFC4566].

This would be okay, except that RTP profiles that don’t derive from RFC 3551 could be defined. A better wording might be:

  Payload Type (PT): The assignment of an RTP payload type for this
  packet format is outside the scope of this document and will not be
  specified here.  It is expected that the RTP profile for a particular
  class of applications will assign a payload type for this encoding,
  or if that is not done, then a payload type in the dynamic range
  SHALL be chosen by means of an out-of-band signaling protocol. See
  Section 6.2 for the mechanism to be used with the Session Description
  Protocol (SDP) [RFC4566].

In Section 4.2, rather than add a note that “this X bit is not to be confused with the X bit in the RTP header”, would it not make sense to rename this X bit? Similarly for the M bit in the extension data fields, and the P bit in the payload header (which isn’t mentioned). Or, at least, annotate each mention of these fields to say which X, M, or P bit it required (e.g., “the P bit in the payload header” or “the P bit in the RTP header” rather than “the P bit”).

Colin

--
Colin Perkins
https://csperkins.org/