Re: [payload] FW: I-D Action: draft-muthu-payload-offer-answer-g723-g729-00.txt

"Chhatwal, Harprit S" <hschhatwal@gmail.com> Wed, 29 February 2012 14:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:34:34 +0000
From: "Chhatwal, Harprit S" <hschhatwal@gmail.com>
To: "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming@digium.com>
Cc: payload@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [payload] FW: I-D Action: draft-muthu-payload-offer-answer-g723-g729-00.txt

On 28 February 2012 21:01, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming@digium.com> wrote:

> That requirement is counter to what the draft proposes. We can't have it
> both ways: either the G.729 'annexb' format parameter is a negotiated
> parameter (in which case its usage is symmetrical by definition) or it is a
> declarative parameter (in which case the usage can be, but is not required
> to be, asymmetrical).

Yes, I concur that the draft (as it currently stands) cannot accommodate an
asymmetric use of G.729B.  However, if we agree that both scenarios are
true, real-world scenarios that need addressing, ie (a) the negotiated case
where the use of G.729B is symmetric and (b) the declarative case where the
use of G.729B can be asymmetric (and, in my opinion, both are valid
scenarios), then I would suggest that we need to come up with a way of
handling both situations (perhaps through the use of an extra fmtp
parameter indicating whether the use is declarative or negotiated - or any
other suggestions the group might have).

If not, and we are only to allow the negotiated, symmetric use, then I'd
appreciate any suggestions from the group for how my organisation might
deal with the requirement of an asymmetric use of G.729B mentioned below.

Regards.  Harprit.

Harprit S. Chhatwal
InnoMedia