Re: [PCN] Explanation of changes in the PCN edge behaviour drafts

Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com> Thu, 22 March 2012 22:58 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:57:21 +0000
To: Tom Taylor <tom.taylor.stds@gmail.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: pcn <pcn@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PCN] Explanation of changes in the PCN edge behaviour drafts

Tom,

inline tagged [BB]...

At 23:52 21/03/2012, Michael Menth wrote:
>Hi Tom,
>Am 21.03.2012 22:47, schrieb Tom Taylor:
>>My comments in turn below, marked with [PTT].
>>On 21/03/2012 5:14 PM, Michael Menth wrote:
>>>Hi Tom,

[BB] Section 5.1.2 doesn't actually recommend tunnelling, at least
not in normative language. All it says is:
"                               As a result, the only way to construct
    such filters reliably is to tunnel the packets from the PCN-ingress-
    node to the PCN-egress-node.
"
In fact we shouldn't only receommend tunnelling, because that's not
actually true. One could implement CL-PCN by layering rather than
tunneling. This would work if PCN edge-nodes were the only IP-aware
nodes in the PCN domain, and PCN metering & marking was done at the
lower layer (e.g. MPLS) on interior nodes.

This would affect the assumed core network behaviour too. At the
start of S.2. I suggest a sentence such as:

OLD:
"  This section describes the assumed behaviour for PCN-interior-nodes
    in the PCN-domain.
"
SUGGESTED:
"  This section describes the assumed behaviour for IP-aware PCN-interior-nodes
    in the PCN-domain.
"

And add at end of Section 2:
"An alternative would be to use PCN in MPLS on interior nodes. In
this case all references to the PCN encoding for IP [3-in-1] would be
replaced by references to the PCN encoding for MPLS described in
Appendix A of [RFC5129] (Appendix C of [3-in-1] also gives useful
examples of the PCN encoding in MPLS). In the rest of this document
IP-aware interior nodes are assumed. "

In addition, we should state in the introduction (and possibly the
abstract) that this doc assumes IP-aware PCN nodes, but MPLS interior
nodes are briefly discussed as an alternative.

It may help to call these edge-behaviours CL-IP and SM-IP, not just
CL & SM. Then later someone could produce near-identical copies of
these RFCs called CL-MPLS and SM-MPLS (the latter makes more sense
than the former because of codepoint restrictions). These wouldn't
use tunnelling, and would refer to a different encoding, but would
otherwise be fairly identical.

[Another alternative is to use Layer 3 Ethernet switches as interior
nodes. L3 switches do forwarding on Ethernet addresses, but they can
bury into the IP header in the payload for the Diffserv & ECN fields
(Microsoft has deployed ECN-marking on Layer-3 switches within its
data centres). However, there's no need to mention an Ethernet option
in the docs - it's a can-of-worms for standards because some see it
as a layering violation. This little aside was for the list, not the doc.]

>>>Moving the old text to 3-in-1 means that this doc is now aware of
>>>3-in-1. Therefore, we should base this edge behavior no longer on
>>>baseline encoding (RFC5696) but on 3-in-1.
>>[PTT] I don't think we have to, although it might be reasonable.
>>The argument is that there is no need for the old text because we
>>are using tunneling.
>I'd suggest to substitute RFC5696 by 3-in-1 in general to avoid
>confusion by a soon obsoleted RFC.

[BB] I agree. I believe the edge-behaviours and 3-in-1 are all going
through together so it would be wrong to refer to a doc that 3-in-1
obsoletes. The RFC-Editor will substitute the appropriate RFCxxxx for
3-in-1, which will be a normative reference.

I'm afraid you will also need to substitute the new names for the two
marked codepoints (PM->ETM & EXP->ThM), but SM will only need one (ETM).

>>>I think to remember that 3-in-1 recommended recoloring as preferred
>>>policing option.
>>
>>[PTT] We agreed on local policy as the answer when discussing Brian
>>Carpenter's review comments.

[BB] There's a distinction needed between:
i) treatment of packets of a flow that has asked to be admitted but
been blocked and
ii) packets where there has never been a request for their flow to be
admitted, but they happen to be using a PCN-compatible DSCP and an
ECN-capable codepoint.

For case (i) it would be perfectly reasonable to drop, but re-marking
the DSCP would also be a reasonable policy.
For case (ii) drop would be unreasonable, because these packets just
happen to be using a PCN codepoint outside the PCN domain, but
they're not PCN-traffic. PCN nodes have no business interfering with
non-PCN traffic. However they've got to do something to prevent
confusion. So the safest action is to re-mark the DSCP.

If the behaviour for (i) & (ii) are different this could be awkward,
because it means the PCN-ingress has to remember all the flows it has
blocked in order to treat them differently from packets that never
asked to be admitted. How long does it remember blocked flows for?

So a sensible policy would be to treat both (i) & (ii) the same to
save having to remember blocked flows. But from a standards
viewpoint, we should still make the distinction, because the
treatment of each should be a policy choice, not something we should prejudge.

The edge-behaviour docs are the right place to deal with case (i),
but for the latter case both edge-behaviour docs need to refer to the
new Section 5.1 of [3-in-1]. The logic here is that edge-behaviours
deal with flow-related stuff, while 3-in-1 deals with individual
packets. [3-in-1] refers to the edge-behaviours for handling packets
of signalled flows.

The split between specs here is unfortunate, but necessary.

[BB] Again, there may need to be some reference to layering as an
alternative to tunnelling.

>>>which MIB?
>>
>>[PTT] DiffServ MIB [RFC3289], referenced in the document.
>ok, now I see the reference was some sentences before

>>>I do not understand why the defined marking algorithms are not
>>>sufficient. Also packet-size-independent excess-traffic-marking is
>>>defined (see 2.4 in RFC5670).
>>The above passage is talking about whether the DiffServ MIB
>>supports the defined marking algorithms, not saying that new
>>algorithms are needed.
>ok, understand

[BB] The text is still misleading. We on the list only understand
because you've explained on the list. Perhaps:

s/Finally, new metering algorithms may need to be defined/
  /Finally, new MIB entries for the metering algorithms may need to be defined/

Cheers

Bob

Bob Briscoe,                                BT Innovate & Design