Re: [pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-proxy and draft-cheshire-recursive-pcp

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 24 July 2013 06:09 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>, "pcp@ietf.org" <pcp@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:08:45 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Subject: Re: [pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-proxy and draft-cheshire-recursive-pcp

Hi Dan,

The main reasons why we had that text are as follows:

* The PCP Proxy won't need to inspect every incoming packet. The current approach makes it easy to redirect PCP responses to the PCP proxy because PCP responses will be explicitly sent to its external IP address.

* In some scenarios, the address family of the internal IP address is not the same as the one available in the external interface of the PCP Proxy. A typical example is DS-Lite. As you know DS-Lite assumes plain IPv6 mode, internal PCP requests are received over IPv4 while external requests are sent over IPv6 without requiring in NAT. In such case, internal request cannot just be relayed to the next PCP server.

Cheers,
Med