Re: [pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-proxy-05 + homenet (notably multihoming)

Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca> Thu, 24 April 2014 13:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:03:53 -0400
From: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
To: pcp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pcp] draft-ietf-pcp-proxy-05 + homenet (notably multihoming)

Le 2014-04-24 05:26, Markus Stenberg a écrit :
> Still, I can’t wrap my head around non hop-by-hop PCP

Assuming that what you mean is what I think you mean, I had the same
issue until I thought of the kind of very lightweight PCP proxy you're
implementing as a degenerate case of a not-so-lightweight PCP
server+client where the server happens to control a stateless firewall
that passes everything. This makes the server+client model apply to
everything, and still allows the implementation shortcuts you envision.
Does that model help you in any way?

Regarding ANNOUNCE relaying, the current text seems to allow both
approaches you are considering. See the last sentence in particular:

   Upon receipt of an unsolicited ANNOUNCE response from a PCP server,
   the PCP Proxy proceeds to renew the mappings and checks whether there
   are changes compared to a local cache if it is maintained by the PCP
   Proxy.  If no change is detected, no unsolicited ANNOUNCE is
   generated towards PCP clients.  If a change is detected, the PCP
   Proxy MUST generate unsolicited ANNOUNCE message(s) to appropriate
   PCP clients.  If the PCP Proxy does not maintain a local cache for
   the mappings, unsolicited multicast ANNOUNCE messages are sent to PCP
   clients.

Simon
--
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca