Re: [pim] draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-05.txt [was: RE: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: PRELIMINARY Agenda and Package for May 8, 2008 Telechat]

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Wed, 07 May 2008 15:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 13:00:22 +0200
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: Bert Wijnen - IETF <bertietf@bwijnen.net>, David Ward <dward@cisco.com>, bharat_joshi@infosys.com, rainab@gmail.com
Cc: MIB Doctors <mib-doctors@ietf.org>, pim@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pim] draft-ietf-pim-bsr-mib-05.txt [was: RE: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: PRELIMINARY Agenda and Package for May 8, 2008 Telechat]
Sender: pim-bounces@ietf.org

Bert,

Using libsmi the MIB module compiles cleanly.

Is this again a case where smicng is more strict?  This may be rather a
warning case at worst and not an error case.

As per RFC4181:

   -   Unsigned32 with a range that excludes zero is RECOMMENDED for
       most index objects.  It is acceptable to include zero in the
       range when it is semantically significant or when it is used as
       the index value for a unique row with special properties.  Such
       usage SHOULD be clearly documented in the DESCRIPTION clause.

Assuming zero is a valid error and that a better explanation is provided
about the 'special case' in the DESCRIPTION I do not see a problem.

Dan