Re: SIP Addressing Limitations

William Allen Simpson <bill.simpson@um.cc.umich.edu> Wed, 19 May 1993 20:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 May 1993 12:34:26 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: William Allen Simpson <bill.simpson@um.cc.umich.edu>
To: whyman@mwassocs.demon.co.uk
Cc: sip@caldera.usc.edu, pip@thumper.bellcore.com, tuba@lanl.gov
Subject: Re: SIP Addressing Limitations

Some of the other commenters on the SIP list have been too polite.

Perhaps you should actually READ my proposed plan (based on > 100 hours
of my work, considerable work and thought by Steve Deering, and many
comments by others).  You can find it in *sip-64bit-plan*, at any
internet-drafts directory.

Comments and improvements are welcome.

The plan manages to allocate enough space to locate every "continent" or
"region" or "country" or "state" or "province" or "metropolitan area" or
"provider" (all at once) on the planet in the first 24 bits (and most in
8 or 16 bits), with more room reserved for the rest of the solar system.

That leaves a conservative estimate of 2^40 bits for use within each
country.  For the worst case, China, there are only 360,000,000 (repeat,
three hundred sixty million) per person (estimated 2025 population),
WITHOUT using the *HALF* of the number space used by IPAE.

You could abuse your number space very badly, say by putting the phone
number in those 10 digits of BCD.  This would still handle the U.S.
(57-bits) with 99.9992% (131,071/131,072) left over, and the U.K.
(55-bits) with 99.997% (32,767/32,768) left over.  That's not counting
the additional 99.5% (1 - (10/16)^10) of the space that is wasted within
the 10 digit BCD.

Any other "limitations"?  Please provide actual numbers with your reasoning.

Bill.Simpson@um.cc.umich.edu