Re: [pkix] Next edition of X.509

"Erik Andersen" <era@x500.eu> Fri, 05 February 2016 08:51 UTC

From: Erik Andersen <era@x500.eu>
To: 'Wei Chuang' <weihaw@google.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 09:51:16 +0100
Cc: 'Directory list' <x500standard@freelists.org>, 'PKIX' <pkix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pkix] Next edition of X.509

Hi Wei,

A technical corrigendum to the seventh edition of X.509 provides an update to X.509 that adds internationalized DNS (Item 5 of http://www.x500standard.com/uploads/dtc/X509-Ed7-Cor1.pdf). This technical corrigendum has been finally approved within ISO and ITU-T and is in principle part of the seventh edition of X.509. It will be integrated into the next edition of X.509 to be completed by the end of this year.

We have also introduced a DNS attribute type in an approved technical corrigendum to X.520  (Item 2 of http://www.x500standard.com/uploads/dtc/X520-Ed7-Cor1.pdf). The intention here is to have short, globally unique distinguished names. This reduces size and processing requirements, important in some environment.

It is true that we not done something for rfc822 names and the RFC 6532 issue. I will put it on my to-do-list, which is rather long. Maybe we also need a new attribute type based on rfc822 names for unique and short distinguished names.

Kind regards,

Erik