[procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt
Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Tue, 30 June 2026 14:23 UTC
Return-Path: <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
X-Original-To: procon@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: procon@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 1F6A410AD3B26 for <procon@mail2.ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 07:23:40 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1782829420; bh=PC+1bWpfcLxvBgGM05DNmMeCfMqw/5+PLEBVRl10w/8=; h=Date:Subject:To:References:From:In-Reply-To; b=t98YaOusyCVW3Apmov1CK29DrhDyWeg9cnoFpNRuunw+ghPjFYDMVas1S8X/HoJvY 3QpZOZ8DvHyGzBlpa3l/qoiJLKDwByR4JG9Ugv8QH7TOLl+/tsIFnJ1Og8Aq6ojYGE 5/ISsbhxUkWnTiS4/AuXo+ytqg3HJHTHOb5rTUUg=
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.797
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.797 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW=-0.7, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H3=0.001, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL=0.001, RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_CERTIFIED_BLOCKED=0.001, RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL_BLOCKED=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (1024-bit key) header.d=joelhalpern.com
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id e7Lhlw4cYmiA for <procon@mail2.ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 07:23:39 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mailb2.tigertech.net (mailb2.tigertech.net [208.80.4.154]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256)) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 1C7DE10AD3A04 for <procon@ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 07:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=joelhalpern.com; s=2.tigertech; t=1782829378; bh=h4zREeTEB+LdjDnwVv73TdKTNiavhsF7q4ce2y/krDE=; h=Date:Subject:To:References:From:In-Reply-To:From; b=UoiPQxxukjIIehs/owTg0lEmHEgNnNIZrwM7id2w/x1N9xL4P5NmcJU+soCyhcjLb J8Fw8WG4aI0HEWHqKjz+BADSU48QI4R//xJoU9OwK84jKVJTrqhqTwTE5B4yHqijXP xJpAxCdAVsupJycoy5E8ekC7eaDbxQjpgn+KL7qQ=
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mailb2.tigertech.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4gqQNL3vf0z22k08 for <procon@ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 07:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
X-Quarantine-ID: <PHsA9kuwclRk>
X-Virus-Scanned: Debian amavis at b2.tigertech.net
Received: from [192.168.0.109] (ip68-100-242-223.dc.dc.cox.net [68.100.242.223]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mailb2.tigertech.net (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 4gqQNL04cqz22jyx for <procon@ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 07:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <a5fd6ac2-ec14-46bf-ac02-60544a46aa44@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2026 10:22:56 -0400
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
To: procon@ietf.org
References: <178272312952.2114666.8663062125812559312@dt-datatracker-f9b87776f-8pmmg> <8446827b-7343-41fe-be65-d9ed0d03561f@gmail.com>
Content-Language: en-US
From: Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
In-Reply-To: <8446827b-7343-41fe-be65-d9ed0d03561f@gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"; format="flowed"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID-Hash: AWNJUU5XFPJPXEB47AEH5HJ4KI262CH2
X-Message-ID-Hash: AWNJUU5XFPJPXEB47AEH5HJ4KI262CH2
X-MailFrom: jmh@joelhalpern.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt
List-Id: "Discussion of consolidating process documents and changes to the standards process per IETF 121 ALLDISPATCH." <procon.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/procon/aGDhXEM-3u-wnS4n6IZTpCnKo48>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/procon>
List-Help: <mailto:procon-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:procon-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:procon@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:procon-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:procon-leave@ietf.org>
While I philosophically agree, I have two concerns. One concern is probably unfixable, and we just live with it. In principle, the person appointed by the nomcom could delegate all of their day-to-day responsibility to other ADs. Without having told the nomcom that they intended to do that. I consider that undesirable. The fixable aspect of this is probably just to note that the nomcom can ask IETF chair candidates what parts of the job they intend to delegate so the nomcom knows which parts of the job they are choosing a person to do, and which parts of the job they are choosing a person to choose a person for. (Those are different skills.) The other piece is that I am concerned about the delegation of the IAB participation. The delegation of the LLC participation is called out in the LLC documents. I don't think it is up to the IESG without explicit confirmation from the IAB to change the IAB participation. I think that delegation someone needs to be signed off on by the IAB. From where I sit, that delegation could use some better explanation of what properties the IETF Chair should look for in a person when they delegate that role. My own read is that the IETF Chair inclusion is not merely to ensure close communication (the laiison in each direction already can do that) but to provide a particularly broad view of IETF operations and activities that may otherwise be lacking. However, that is a guess since I don't think it is spelled out in the existing documents and is not not spelled out here. Yours, Joel On 6/29/2026 11:55 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote: > I support clarifying the IETF Chair's power to delegate. Personally I'd > enable it by a much more general provision. Something like: > > The Chair may delegate any specific part of their role to another AD, > unless specifically disallowed by a BCP. Delegations must be for a > specific period of time and must be announced. However, ultimate > responsibility remains with the Chair. > > That said, I agree with the draft, because it really amounts to exactly > that. It just seems that there's a lot of detail that most readers will > not care about. Maybe the main text could be rather short, with the > details > in an Appendix? > > Regards/Ngā mihi > Brian Carpenter > > On 29-Jun-26 20:52, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote: >> Internet-Draft draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt is now >> available. >> >> Title: The IETF Chair May Delegate >> Author: Lars Eggert >> Name: draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt >> Pages: 11 >> Dates: 2026-06-29 >> >> Abstract: >> >> This document affirms that the IETF Chair may delegate some of their >> responsibilities to other Area Directors, and updates several >> existing RFCs to enable that. >> >> The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is: >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate/ >> >> There is also an HTML version available at: >> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.html >> >> >> A diff from the previous version is available at: >> https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02 >> >> >> Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at: >> rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> I-D-Announce mailing list -- i-d-announce@ietf.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to i-d-announce-leave@ietf.org > _______________________________________________ > procon mailing list -- procon@ietf.org > To unsubscribe send an email to procon-leave@ietf.org
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Brian E Carpenter
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Joel Halpern
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Brian E Carpenter
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Jari Arkko
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Rob Sayre