[procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt
Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@gmail.com> Mon, 06 July 2026 06:54 UTC
Return-Path: <jari.arkko@gmail.com>
X-Original-To: procon@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: procon@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 2011F10FA756F for <procon@mail2.ietf.org>; Sun, 5 Jul 2026 23:54:28 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1783320868; bh=4AGMm1Iwx4pIJ73xUH1q7+4qQDFaQ5zb4WWmdfrlxW4=; h=Subject:From:In-Reply-To:Date:Cc:References:To; b=O1rNYdjRALGz8AV6cUv0NQ1zdGfG7jUrBW3JqPj3+1nfXjWbnToXtwLSS7zkjV3fE MratdEi4XUqls/16N1Rxregc2Wzt1YDs9J/7TfiphjZmuNij6ZWlzbic9uWPBCxwRJ iofB5q8eZSLnq+UsVITOURYU0TIqr0TcjrVRz+lw=
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.099
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.099 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=unavailable autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=gmail.com
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id wLTYNpK33_J5 for <procon@mail2.ietf.org>; Sun, 5 Jul 2026 23:54:27 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail-ed1-x534.google.com (mail-ed1-x534.google.com [IPv6:2a00:1450:4864:20::534]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id D502910FA7567 for <procon@ietf.org>; Sun, 5 Jul 2026 23:54:27 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by mail-ed1-x534.google.com with SMTP id 4fb4d7f45d1cf-698a9f11776so3584563a12.1 for <procon@ietf.org>; Sun, 05 Jul 2026 23:54:27 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20251104; t=1783320867; x=1783925667; darn=ietf.org; h=to:references:message-id:content-transfer-encoding:cc:date :in-reply-to:from:subject:mime-version:content-type:from:to:cc :subject:date:message-id:reply-to:content-type; bh=4AGMm1Iwx4pIJ73xUH1q7+4qQDFaQ5zb4WWmdfrlxW4=; b=Mjvc+ee+QVo8b0fq64s9f5+zbR4emd5iYns0/q10rB65M2t6BPJ3eENBsceVd26Bo7 wQk1XZrNtrxpdM6IQmebRNc8Mc0Zt+ekbD1LLaQvXF2gLzyg7YR8V5UO+SxzW0yZ0vVm ZFFueF8m8XV8rBueurk7nvQ8MlHBlyUftmJJ6Vzq+LHRL2pbPnGEKAl7r3Av3JFVNEoz AjE/EECbiGvhk4pdikuAB9zLukau/OvH/HS3e2yOMmrlDls7FNgvYNyJHPrmgn2ncH9U RkPahjwpRS4qwyz5ngRh4X8EjnBf5i70od5Sn/lvckHZrae+XFXD5Mj7dsngBx7Z9Ca7 /BMQ==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=1e100.net; s=20251104; t=1783320867; x=1783925667; h=to:references:message-id:content-transfer-encoding:cc:date :in-reply-to:from:subject:mime-version:content-type:x-gm-gg :x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to :content-type; bh=4AGMm1Iwx4pIJ73xUH1q7+4qQDFaQ5zb4WWmdfrlxW4=; b=JwSWgGvLHj9rpz6JUwbLg8/BtxE96q52SgS0UqFInoDe30+4SSoGrZbaQ1rOBusHzH DW8B+aawqaw44q7h7u6Dyxkv7nLmCUKkQgozvMvkp9Fj7ofc+ub2cEkO4pYAAkA+w9sS SHFbNg57E827lGPLyeHS5LSM3QJh5eFPelf+4pHwqLsz53eYUUaf7W4Stn4pFCYJf0nE YkAgme1MwTh2wSHwNowXfT4E6l4hcUj1kTyKgkfNr5yR2NqQpn7NMJgXmFFKwKk3DXCi eqlxloEAlIIG/+lKeare2bZcDrL17O6ZefFV2wSFhOHOTyDrcU7GrWTUQY0t0hw4uZW+ ujVQ==
X-Gm-Message-State: AOJu0Yz2m4jQRvGrRhPz6xNJ1p7s8JEC4/48l8CizF6UXvFBwPV+gLZ6 GaNvnKNlYNcSN64kZ+4LGlRdLxbj21cE/8eirpmdlnAFYTNIDeV1DlEgFTkqqpm0l9g=
X-Gm-Gg: AfdE7cm3GjhiZbWCwrZ6A755ESenI01cQ+8Ici+arzEN9jcO4vWjbopGKkEHLt8k/kp 7Ep+QeT+Kzo4rw/PxZw5FwAuUdd/XhyAi2o6I9Mfq+3iQZsVneC9zwRhurvTM5M40u0eQXSeR4e jioYLaoDn1z7jz9Lf8U5MNUD61NX3wVrx5NCpMf9U/cDR8jwbRBeMFQQyccMdCXCOsW8tPDvYh6 DPy+81kfZ5w8WAnS7tfFHKckYTJS6FQ3zLa+lrrDEZBh1E8B8SmkfEUYRWWZvZSGjwhpzJ0nFcT 2AFEt2tvghYxBkz637CgQ1zjGZjgdfii91v+TwFGP4IRX3X20zssNAFsYpbpgzh6G65QPZWF49D rQZ2N6IyXQiQfva6klRTucGQmT5fv1J4ghRhXwj+yQuq5LXHQYtFlqovZyF3IBPjqzFhQwDBd3V gCjKv37gjV1QUmC6LtIc7XRz/tzcHhfeDAr/B1XjnTFw==
X-Received: by 2002:a05:6402:50c7:b0:698:1504:bb23 with SMTP id 4fb4d7f45d1cf-69a1a3ad35bmr2697397a12.29.1783320866644; Sun, 05 Jul 2026 23:54:26 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from smtpclient.apple ([2a01:4f9:c01f:1c:b0d0:e98b:3d41:d2b5]) by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id 4fb4d7f45d1cf-69a19d9ea0asm3290421a12.22.2026.07.05.23.54.24 (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128); Sun, 05 Jul 2026 23:54:26 -0700 (PDT)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Mac OS X Mail 16.0 \(3864.600.51.1.1\))
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <1565D2C8-6AA5-48F4-A0B9-F89B9F8A625E@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2026 09:54:14 +0300
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-Id: <FB553CFB-75D2-4F25-8182-585FC6218DF3@gmail.com>
References: <178272312952.2114666.8663062125812559312@dt-datatracker-f9b87776f-8pmmg> <8446827b-7343-41fe-be65-d9ed0d03561f@gmail.com> <a5fd6ac2-ec14-46bf-ac02-60544a46aa44@joelhalpern.com> <1565D2C8-6AA5-48F4-A0B9-F89B9F8A625E@kuehlewind.net>
To: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf=40kuehlewind.net@dmarc.ietf.org>
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.3864.600.51.1.1)
Message-ID-Hash: CN7UFCZNR4GIQ5SPKRECRGILN2UQM24W
X-Message-ID-Hash: CN7UFCZNR4GIQ5SPKRECRGILN2UQM24W
X-MailFrom: jari.arkko@gmail.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: Process Enthusiasts <procon@ietf.org>
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt
List-Id: "Discussion of consolidating process documents and changes to the standards process per IETF 121 ALLDISPATCH." <procon.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/procon/BmqcjJWSw5nvP7JzDcrgCWHDo1U>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/procon>
List-Help: <mailto:procon-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:procon-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:procon@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:procon-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:procon-leave@ietf.org>
> I agree about the IAB part and have raised this at the mic at some point but probably should have opened an issue as well. In the IAB charter RFC2850, the IETF Chair is called out as a member of the IAB and this is not just a role or responsibility that can be delegated. Similar as any IAB member cannot delegate its membership to someone else; especially any voting rights cannot be delegated. However, I also don’t think there is a need for delegation here. There is also the liaison from the IESG to the IAB; so there is also a second link between the groups. And similar as IAB members are potentially less active for some periods of time, it is also not a real problem if the IETF Chair would not be able to actively participate in IAB activities for a while; again the membership, however, remains, no matter if someone is actively contributing or not. I have come to agree with ”don’t think there is a need for delegation here” (for that one aspect of the chair’s role). There’s four people already sitting on both bodies (2xliaison + 2xchair). Yes, the IETF chair has a special role (voting, broad view to the IETF, etc.) but that’s typically not something needs urgent action. And if there’s a point that should be brought to the IAB’s attention e.g. to influence how the currently present voting members vote on soma matter, it seems likely that the remaining three people should be able to have enough context as well to make the point. Jari (no hats)
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Brian E Carpenter
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Joel Halpern
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Brian E Carpenter
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Jari Arkko
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Rob Sayre