[procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt
Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> Tue, 30 June 2026 21:57 UTC
Return-Path: <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
X-Original-To: procon@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: procon@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 652B410B2BBC2 for <procon@mail2.ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 14:57:14 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1782856634; bh=QZ910WP24Fubss24U1li8OJ9vVAvjG0xjN95eyNIxKQ=; h=Date:Subject:To:References:From:In-Reply-To; b=l+YTaYNIycVlQRVyKCNx2S/54+olpNvgPfMUkssFP4tbhW0XK01BBV1qqQggIk0IW 5vt6okcB+oyVB7AKYBHD2sV7DY29odHu3BTuxtpa4Kao5GjVwjn6O25GqSO9Sj0rhl zS2/cabJbMfe9Iwe/1FnDS+BbawHnS3FnSPp+U6c=
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.099
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.099 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=gmail.com
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 644cn1JpIpdk for <procon@mail2.ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 14:57:13 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail-dy1-x1335.google.com (mail-dy1-x1335.google.com [IPv6:2607:f8b0:4864:20::1335]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 1A70710B2BA03 for <procon@ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 14:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by mail-dy1-x1335.google.com with SMTP id 5a478bee46e88-30e9eefa268so1709318eec.1 for <procon@ietf.org>; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 14:55:31 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20251104; t=1782856530; x=1783461330; darn=ietf.org; h=content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:from:references:to :content-language:subject:user-agent:mime-version:date:message-id :from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to; bh=QZ910WP24Fubss24U1li8OJ9vVAvjG0xjN95eyNIxKQ=; b=GrYBWh+0Jo1RrvRxSi4roBUzNsPhPC8Ei6AzdgYhX4QfAKqOYUQT9d23+LUj6pCs6P xaFnZjQ9BBXIsXIAFCKG4U/Uc7EL1u3mOk0K2Fp9Fk0AuyZDIaTIQVpiarOWpTZ2wMd0 MfyaUf0I6k+DNv5FkLfru74/4AcB98E+an/9kkGHiMkRzp/Zmualn0J8HhJDtc4v874V DMKMWT8zdhKVucg7mUfGu5UpMx+sMAzkCMHnrHPDQzzJUlLoTaTExBhh5Z0GaIbzQhXv efZnhGdiRV/6z1RjE/PLAxSwn+tX7UXL3hLS9OFpUtKlN5IOTWK1YzT9i0w532EV1xTt 6hVA==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=1e100.net; s=20251104; t=1782856530; x=1783461330; h=content-transfer-encoding:in-reply-to:from:references:to :content-language:subject:user-agent:mime-version:date:message-id :x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id :reply-to; bh=QZ910WP24Fubss24U1li8OJ9vVAvjG0xjN95eyNIxKQ=; b=WuqUbqM4WSo6bxJDOCFJWZSscuOd06vibWtlNl+t3B9LHwQvIeQeRG3kRUqpTzuHnJ B26Cs9oabIC9EzFdT9bfSjvZEmLfwscEfSXKr3KhLB5AL4TZ98Cv8ByyAqN1y5w+Whu1 qEtf17xxHaoquIvWmQG85ucfPjCDHc5EHSREckBmLqeOvNeSH+oqdbXmpZWgv0AuXunG 2NJkavDVEXlQQZU55NddcY7vS0fbty+DzRA69U+K6NjziZN7iRzEUMmVAV8VfubYwtgL jgEoBo/F4ues924DMGd0apKQHH9W4SEvPBfXr/kgemHomrtYPgtfzo4AYS8U4IIfi3DR PNWQ==
X-Gm-Message-State: AOJu0Ywnq6nDUgepRH60pWuujFoV6BxC8bohFUDkHIup/zz9lbEGTGnD k6Ej+rKrCawGm4XTS8NPYuwy5EZNdSiC7fbgAKvHYSZ79RRuHjV8XbajouVv4nTp
X-Gm-Gg: AfdE7ckSHeeR8c8ixBhuwboUhPf/+jf5SJ5/+hAYPA5X8uZ2ml/OfKcIleyS8Ld+LMs UegeKaCajG6Uvxz3aWuQbjESi7mCMkRUCiZPjtimv7N+aLTV6sjECDZf0emxv3MEFh1N10yZcvK p/t+viDyAitXyvd8yNcJyY6C+ws5ckt0mUWdVXR0l6Ra1QN9oby8vy9A3I2jd7ntyIOF/+IIj3s sqeMx0eph/ytJQxKXoL88SH9ykHh7f7mqpGbHt2Y5RDKnCd4Rojj/Te0sts9SXd1MaMSSn2wk/m s2eVnETH62xYfev76HzUGC5wfEF044Er0OViMx7ShDaflSZ2qHUYYFEkzjFbRV6heAZQ8awPvyP 6/ojwOsV/BYRqU6NuvclO2bF050zYd2HDz2Of8IStQhojqFDIHull85AwJmm74tTpD4+CN1xKXz GCBd+NvcMVbAAdGcKv6aiwFErlv0RRdxjbEiKBEOhkTz3hnUqJ3VipsWoamSet3HndHFkF6wrr5 ZNdKiY=
X-Received: by 2002:a05:7300:23c8:b0:30c:55ab:74b6 with SMTP id 5a478bee46e88-30ee121a83amr4265871eec.7.1782856529993; Tue, 30 Jun 2026 14:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ?IPV6:2404:4400:a100:1829:5956:ca53:df83:6568? ([2404:4400:a100:1829:5956:ca53:df83:6568]) by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id 5a478bee46e88-30ee2f5e4dcsm11975295eec.5.2026.06.30.14.55.28 for <procon@ietf.org> (version=TLS1_3 cipher=TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 bits=128/128); Tue, 30 Jun 2026 14:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <a3be9074-1c3a-4c07-bdb6-5c9f99847f73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2026 09:55:25 +1200
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-US
To: procon@ietf.org
References: <178272312952.2114666.8663062125812559312@dt-datatracker-f9b87776f-8pmmg> <8446827b-7343-41fe-be65-d9ed0d03561f@gmail.com> <a5fd6ac2-ec14-46bf-ac02-60544a46aa44@joelhalpern.com> <1565D2C8-6AA5-48F4-A0B9-F89B9F8A625E@kuehlewind.net>
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <1565D2C8-6AA5-48F4-A0B9-F89B9F8A625E@kuehlewind.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"; format="flowed"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Message-ID-Hash: SPBU7BR7ED2B3EIZSLWPRDNAGZF2VONV
X-Message-ID-Hash: SPBU7BR7ED2B3EIZSLWPRDNAGZF2VONV
X-MailFrom: brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt
List-Id: "Discussion of consolidating process documents and changes to the standards process per IETF 121 ALLDISPATCH." <procon.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/procon/uQ4HsENTTNH7LP2kqGgdNKj5vtE>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/procon>
List-Help: <mailto:procon-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:procon-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:procon@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:procon-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:procon-leave@ietf.org>
I agree, the IAB seat aspect at least needs IAB consent. I missed that.
Regards/Ngā mihi
Brian Carpenter
On 01-Jul-26 02:44, Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF) wrote:
> Hi Joel, hi all,
>
> I agree about the IAB part and have raised this at the mic at some point but probably should have opened an issue as well. In the IAB charter RFC2850, the IETF Chair is called out as a member of the IAB and this is not just a role or responsibility that can be delegated. Similar as any IAB member cannot delegate its membership to someone else; especially any voting rights cannot be delegated. However, I also don’t think there is a need for delegation here. There is also the liaison from the IESG to the IAB; so there is also a second link between the groups. And similar as IAB members are potentially less active for some periods of time, it is also not a real problem if the IETF Chair would not be able to actively participate in IAB activities for a while; again the membership, however, remains, no matter if someone is actively contributing or not.
>
> Mirja
>
>
>
>> On 30. Jun 2026, at 16:22, Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com> wrote:
>>
>> While I philosophically agree, I have two concerns.
>>
>> One concern is probably unfixable, and we just live with it. In principle, the person appointed by the nomcom could delegate all of their day-to-day responsibility to other ADs. Without having told the nomcom that they intended to do that. I consider that undesirable. The fixable aspect of this is probably just to note that the nomcom can ask IETF chair candidates what parts of the job they intend to delegate so the nomcom knows which parts of the job they are choosing a person to do, and which parts of the job they are choosing a person to choose a person for. (Those are different skills.)
>>
>> The other piece is that I am concerned about the delegation of the IAB participation. The delegation of the LLC participation is called out in the LLC documents. I don't think it is up to the IESG without explicit confirmation from the IAB to change the IAB participation. I think that delegation someone needs to be signed off on by the IAB. From where I sit, that delegation could use some better explanation of what properties the IETF Chair should look for in a person when they delegate that role. My own read is that the IETF Chair inclusion is not merely to ensure close communication (the laiison in each direction already can do that) but to provide a particularly broad view of IETF operations and activities that may otherwise be lacking. However, that is a guess since I don't think it is spelled out in the existing documents and is not not spelled out here.
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> Joel
>>
>> On 6/29/2026 11:55 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> I support clarifying the IETF Chair's power to delegate. Personally I'd
>>> enable it by a much more general provision. Something like:
>>>
>>> The Chair may delegate any specific part of their role to another AD,
>>> unless specifically disallowed by a BCP. Delegations must be for a
>>> specific period of time and must be announced. However, ultimate
>>> responsibility remains with the Chair.
>>>
>>> That said, I agree with the draft, because it really amounts to exactly
>>> that. It just seems that there's a lot of detail that most readers will
>>> not care about. Maybe the main text could be rather short, with the details
>>> in an Appendix?
>>>
>>> Regards/Ngā mihi
>>> Brian Carpenter
>>>
>>> On 29-Jun-26 20:52, internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
>>>> Internet-Draft draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt is now available.
>>>>
>>>> Title: The IETF Chair May Delegate
>>>> Author: Lars Eggert
>>>> Name: draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.txt
>>>> Pages: 11
>>>> Dates: 2026-06-29
>>>>
>>>> Abstract:
>>>>
>>>> This document affirms that the IETF Chair may delegate some of their
>>>> responsibilities to other Area Directors, and updates several
>>>> existing RFCs to enable that.
>>>>
>>>> The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
>>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate/
>>>>
>>>> There is also an HTML version available at:
>>>> https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02.html
>>>>
>>>> A diff from the previous version is available at:
>>>> https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-eggert-procon-chair-delegate-02
>>>>
>>>> Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at:
>>>> rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> I-D-Announce mailing list -- i-d-announce@ietf.org
>>>> To unsubscribe send an email to i-d-announce-leave@ietf.org
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> procon mailing list -- procon@ietf.org
>>> To unsubscribe send an email to procon-leave@ietf.org
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> procon mailing list -- procon@ietf.org
>> To unsubscribe send an email to procon-leave@ietf.org
>
> _______________________________________________
> procon mailing list -- procon@ietf.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to procon-leave@ietf.org
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Brian E Carpenter
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Joel Halpern
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Brian E Carpenter
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Jari Arkko
- [procon] Re: I-D Action: draft-eggert-procon-chai… Rob Sayre