Re: [PWE3] S-PE in stitching architecture document

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se> Thu, 28 July 2005 14:52 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:52:08 +0200
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se>
To: George Swallow <swallow@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] S-PE in stitching architecture document
X-Spam-Report: Spam detection software, running on the system "fw.testbed.se", has identified this incoming email as possible spam. The original message has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or label similar future email. If you have any questions, see the administrator of that system for details. Content preview: Matthew, Stewart, while we are at it picking on PE naming, please note that U-PE is "taken", in the draft-ietf-l2vpn-l2-framework-05.txt and also documented in rfc4026 it stands for User-facing PE. The concept is used for a situation where the PE functionality are distribute over more than one router, a user facing PE and a network facing PE. I think that we could avoid future confusion by changing name. [...] Content analysis details: (-0.1 points, 5.0 required) pts rule name description ---- ---------------------- -------------------------------------------------- -0.1 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list
while we are at it picking on PE naming, please note that U-PE is
"taken", in the draft-ietf-l2vpn-l2-framework-05.txt and also
documented in rfc4026 it stands for User-facing PE. The concept
is used for a situation where the PE functionality are distribute
over more than one router, a user facing PE and a network facing
PE. I think that we could avoid future confusion by changing
name.

btw, I think we should very carefully discuss where we need and
allow pw stiching.

/Loa

George Swallow wrote:
> Mathew, Stewart -
>
> I think both the name and definition of the S-PE should change.  While
> canonical example and most pressing application for stitching is at a
> provider's edge, I don't see any reason to constrain the stitching point
> to a PE.  One could imagine applications that might find stitching
> useful at other points.
>
> ...George

Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  loa.andersson@acreo.se
                                            loa@pi.se