Re: [PWE3] S-PE in stitching architecture document

Matthew.Bocci@alcatel.co.uk Thu, 28 July 2005 16:50 UTC

From: Matthew.Bocci@alcatel.co.uk
Subject: Re: [PWE3] S-PE in stitching architecture document
To: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:49:57 +0100
Cc: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org, George Swallow <swallow@cisco.com>, pwe3@ietf.org, stbryant@cisco.com
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

Loa and all,

Thanks for your comments. If U-PE clashes with another definition
elsewhere, then we will certainly have to revisit this name.

I agree that we have to be careful where we do PW switching. An objective
is to constrain the scaling and complexity issues, and the points where
policy may be applied to PWs, to specific elements in the network. Hence
the description of the network architecture in terms of "PWE3 domains."

Regards,

Matthew

                      Loa Andersson
                      <loa@pi.se>              To:      George Swallow <swallow@cisco.com>
                      Sent by:                 cc:      stbryant@cisco.com, pwe3@ietf.org, Matthew BOCCI/GB/ALCATEL@ALCATEL
                      pwe3-bounces@iet         Subject: Re: [PWE3] S-PE in stitching architecture document
                      f.org

                      28/07/2005 15:52

Matthew, Stewart,

while we are at it picking on PE naming, please note that U-PE is
"taken", in the draft-ietf-l2vpn-l2-framework-05.txt and also
documented in rfc4026 it stands for User-facing PE. The concept
is used for a situation where the PE functionality are distribute
over more than one router, a user facing PE and a network facing
PE. I think that we could avoid future confusion by changing
name.

btw, I think we should very carefully discuss where we need and
allow pw stiching.

/Loa

George Swallow wrote:
> Mathew, Stewart -
>
> I think both the name and definition of the S-PE should change.  While
> canonical example and most pressing application for stitching is at a
> provider's edge, I don't see any reason to constrain the stitching point
> to a PE.  One could imagine applications that might find stitching
> useful at other points.
>
> ...George

Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  loa.andersson@acreo.se
                                            loa@pi.se