RE: Proposed changes to draft kamapabhava-01

neil.2.harrison@bt.com Sat, 20 April 2002 12:43 UTC

From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
Subject: RE: Proposed changes to draft kamapabhava-01
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 13:43:01 +0100
Sender: pwe3-admin@ietf.org
Cc: pwe3@ietf.org
To: Andy.Malis@VivaceNetworks.com, kawa@nortelnetworks.com

Andrew....I don't agree with what you say below about backwards
compatibility with Martini being 'very important'.  I would agree with you
if this represented some agreed stds document but IMO Martini is just a
draft ID with no official stds status.  If vendors want to build to such a
'stds intercept' then they do so at risk and they must accept they may need
to change.  I also don't like this 'we've built to it therefore its the de
facto std by an existence proof' argument........because for 1 thing what is
to stop a few vendors (and maybe SPs) having some private agreement to do
this and then using this 'proof by existence' to force it on everyone else?

regards, Neil