Re: Measurement bit(s) or not

<alexandre.ferrieux@orange.com> Mon, 12 February 2018 11:56 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 12:56:40 +0100
From: alexandre.ferrieux@orange.com
To: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>
CC: "quic@ietf.org" <quic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Measurement bit(s) or not

Hi Brian,

We're clearly in violent agreement about both the potential to make intelligent
use of this measurement nibble, and the desirability of *some* troubleshooting
helper. Thanks for proposing to include this discussion in the spin bit table.

As it turns out, we do have concrete illustrations to show there, on real
networks and long distances. But beyond that, I'd like to "probe" this group for
a possible veto before digging further: while I have no doubt about an eventual
consensus among us "troubleshooters", I'm more worried by the other side of the
board: people primarily concerned about ossification and linkability, to whom
network debugging is at best a secondary goal.

More precisely, as you accurately described, the position of the cursor of both
tradeoffs may display a kind of threshold for acceptability by them :

- endpoint vs midpoint complexity: if the tool is too easy on the midpoint,
active Murphies will come in ; at kind of entry barrier should be set -- how high ?

- fidelity: the coarser, or the more delayed, the better, since it precludes any
real-time feedback loop like active Murphies do ; what is the minimum
degradation that is needed ?

Thank you.