Measurement bit(s) or not

<alexandre.ferrieux@orange.com> Sat, 10 February 2018 17:34 UTC

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 18:34:54 +0100
From: alexandre.ferrieux@orange.com
To: "quic@ietf.org" <quic@ietf.org>
Subject: Measurement bit(s) or not

On 07/02/2018 14:34, Brian Trammell (IETF) wrote:
 > hi Jana,
 >
 >> 3. Some sequencing information -- a few bits of the packet number perhaps
 >> -- should be revealed (for monitoring. Number of bits TBD.)
 >
 > This is the crux of the argument. On one side we have the risk of misuse and
 > ossification (well, not ossification -- these bits are *meant* for the path
 > -- rather the risk that we'll figure out later that we specified the wrong
 > thing), on the other side we have the loss of visibility into how QUIC
 > traffic interacts with the network as compared to TCP, with a side question
 > of whether or not this visibility is really the transport layer's problem
 > despite the evolution the practice of diagnostics and troubleshooting using
 > TCP information.
 >
 > If we can come to agreement on this question, everything else falls into
 > place. I have my arguments here, but as you said, this subthread is not the
 > place for them. :)

The crux indeed. So what about settling it first ?

With the troubleshooting hat, I can only stress the need for measurement bits,
for the benefit of everybody, since s**t happens, networks are imperfect, and
nifty encapsulations-with-seqnum will simply not be where you need them.

Now to the exact nature of these measurement bits:

Thanks to the detailed exchanges on this thread, it is by now clear that a
simple gapless counter, even nonzero-based and XORed, is not acceptable. The
4-bit SSN comes pretty close but is not enough when things go really wrong (and
they will - and that's where we need the tool).

Then Kazuho's square signal and Mikkel's Pi (or any other consensual
self-synchronizing sequence) ramification came up. They are both appealing for
their elegance and low complexity on QUIC endpoints. Beyond their quirks
acknowledged here, here are a few considerations for troubleshooting:

  (1) Since reordering is less of a concern to QUIC than to TCP, it becomes a
secondary goal. This is nice, because the square doesn't see it, and the
self-synchronizing sequence will only tolerate a mild one, and never see its
detail like cycle length etc.

  (2) There's of course a huge difference between them in complexity for the
midpoint: square is trivial, Pi is hefty.

Given these, a benevolent, troubleshooting-minded passive midpoint will clearly
vote for the square. Now the obvious question is: is this acceptable, or deemed
too easy for a Murphy, Inc. active middlebox to see upstream losses and
benevolently wreak havoc by delaying packets ?

Thank you.