Re: [radext] draft-maglione-pcp-radius-ext-04

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <achatz@forthnetgroup.gr> Fri, 03 August 2012 15:55 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 08:57:33 -0700
From: Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <achatz@forthnetgroup.gr>
To: Maglione Roberta <roberta.maglione@telecomitalia.it>
Cc: "radext@ietf.org" <radext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [radext] draft-maglione-pcp-radius-ext-04

Thanks for the answer Roberta. This is also what i had in mind.
imho, a paragraph should be added explaining the use cases, so the
purpose of this attribute is better understood.

Also, i did a quick review of the doc and i have a few comments to make,
mostly semantics.

Since draft-ietf-pcp-dhcp defines that the OPTION_PCP_SERVER option can
include multiple PCP Server Domain Names, wouldn't it be appropriate for
this doc to use this behavior too?

Also, although the above draft instructs to use a name, generally
speaking PCP doesn't require a domain name. So

> A PCP client must know the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of a
>     PCP server, before it can communicate with the later in order to
>     perform the relevant PCP functions.

A PCP client must know how to contact the PCP server, either by the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of it
    or by its IP address, before it can communicate with it in order to
    perform the relevant PCP functions.

A note like the following should be added in the beginning:

   In order to make use of this option, this document assumes
    appropriate name resolution means (e.g.,Section 6.1.1 of [RFC1123]  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1123#section-6.1.1>)
    are available on the host client.

Under terminology, this should probably be added.

Name is a domain name (as perSection 3.1 of [RFC1035]  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1035#section-3.1>) that
       contains one or more labels.  In particular, a PCP Server name may be
       structured as DNS qualified name or be composed of strings such as
       can be passed to getaddrinfo (Section 6.1 of [RFC3493]  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3493#section-6.1>), including
       address literals, etc.

> When the co-located DHCPv6 server receives
>     a DHCPv6 message containing the PCP Server Option, it SHALL use the
>     name returned in the RADIUS attribute as defined in this memo to
>     populate the DHCPv6 PCP Server option defined in [I-D.ietf-pcp-dhcp  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maglione-pcp-radius-ext-04#ref-I-D.ietf-pcp-dhcp>]

I worry about the SHALL wording here.
I would prefer to have it user configurable (MUST) on the NAS and if
enabled, then used (MUST).

Figure 2, if i understand it correctly, refers to IPoE sessions, so it
probably should be rephrased.
The same applies to figure 3 too.

Also:

> The Figure 2 illustrates how the RADIUS protocol and DHCPv6 work
>     together to accomplish PCP client configuration when DHCPv6 is used
>     to provide connectivity to the user.

The Figure 2 illustrates how the RADIUS protocol and DHCPv6 work
    together to accomplish PCP client configuration when IPoE & DHCPv6 are used
    to provide connectivity to the user.

> The difference between this message flow and previous one is that in
>     this scenario the interaction between NAS and AAA/ RADIUS Server is
>     triggered by the DHCPv6 Solicit message received by the NAS from the
>     B4 acting as DHCPv6 client, while in case of a PPP Session the
>     trigger is the PPP LCP Config Request message received by the NAS.

The difference between this message flow and previous one is that in
    this scenario the interaction between NAS and AAA/ RADIUS Server is
    triggered by the DHCPv6 Solicit message received by the NAS from the
    PCP client acting as DHCPv6 client, while in case of a PPP Session the
    trigger is the PPP LCP Config Request message received by the NAS.

> If the NAS does not receive the PCP server name attribute in the
>     Access-Accept it MAY fallback to a pre-configured default tunnel
>     name, if any.  If the NAS does not have any pre-configured default
>     tunnel name or if the NAS receives an Access-Reject, the PCP client
>     can not be configured by the NAS.

If the NAS does not receive the PCP server name attribute in the
    Access-Accept it MAY fallback to a pre-configured default PCP server
    name, if any.  If the NAS does not have any pre-configured default
    PCP Server name or if the NAS receives an Access-Reject, the PCP client
    can not be configured by the NAS.

>   The scenario with PPP Session and IPv4 only connectivity does not
>     require the DHCP protocol: the whole configuration of the client is
>     performed by PPP.  This case is out of scope of this document because
>     in order to complete the configuration of the PCP client a new PPP
>     IPC option would be required.

the above should probably be PPP IPCP option.

PCP-Server-Name is referenced many times in all lower-case letters.
Probably it's better to make it all the same.

Regards,
Tassos