Re: [radext] WGLC for draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery-09

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Tue, 14 January 2014 13:43 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: Jouni Korhonen <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>, "radext@ietf.org" <radext@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 13:43:02 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.3]
Cc: "radext-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <radext-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [radext] WGLC for draft-ietf-radext-dynamic-discovery-09

Hi Stefan, Jouni,

I'm ok with the general content of this draft.
But, just after a brief review of the last version, I have the following comments/questions.

In Section 2.1.1.1. Registration of Application Service and Protocol Tags

   This specification defines three S-NAPTR service tags:

   +-----------------+-----------------------------------------+
   | Service Tag     | Use                                     |
   +-----------------+-----------------------------------------+
   | aaa+auth        | RADIUS Authentication, i.e. traffic as  |
   |                 | defined in [RFC2865]                    |
   | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
   | aaa+acct        | RADIUS Accounting, i.e. traffic as      |
   |                 | defined in [RFC2866]                    |
   | - - - - - - - - | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
   | aaa+dynauth     | RADIUS Dynamic Authorisation, i.e.      |
   |                 | traffic as defined in [RFC5176]         |
   +--------------- --+-----------------------------------------+

                      Figure 1: List of Service Tags

[LM] For historical reasons, "aaa" is already assigned to Diameter. The proposed values for RADIUS related Application Service Tags are not wrong per se but it could be misleading... What about using "RADIUS+" instead of "aaa+" to avoid such possible confusion?

[LM] I don't know if it is something commonly in use but I was wondering if it would be also suitable to define a service tag for Auth+Acc when both types of traffic are sent to the same server.

In Section 3.1. Applicability

   Dynamic server discovery as defined in this document is only
   applicable for AAA transactions where a RADIUS entity which acts as a
   forwarding server for one or more realms receives a request with a
   realm for which it is not authoritative, and which no explicit next
   hop is configured.  It is only applicable for

   a.  new user sessions, i.e. for the initial Access-Request.
       Subsequent messages concerning this session, for example Access-
       Challenges and Access-Accepts use the previously-established
       communication channel between client and server.

   b.  RADIUS DynAuth server discovery

[LM] I think that the case for initial Accounting-Request is missing. Sorry if this point was discussed earlier on the mailing list.

Regards,

Lionel