Re: [RAI] Expert review of draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-03

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Wed, 22 October 2008 21:46 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: "'DRAGE, Keith (Keith)'" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, 'Henry Sinnreich' <hsinnrei@adobe.com>, 'Paul Kyzivat' <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, 'Eunsoo Shim' <eunsooshim@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 07:37:04 -0400
Cc: draft-sinnreich-sip-tools@tools.ietf.org, rai@ietf.org, sipping-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [RAI] Expert review of draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-03
Sender: rai-bounces@ietf.org

Going forward, in the U.S. at least, you will need all of phonebcp.  We're
going to start deploying "NG9-1-1" next year. Which, for VoIP, IM or any
other kind of multimedia, is built on -phonebcp.  And, in addition to
Henry's disdain for B2BUAs, much of what -phonebcp says could not be
implemented by a B2BUA.  The location stuff, in particular, is roughly
impossible to do with a B2BUA if the calling network cannot restrict the
access (broadband) network, something I'm sure this work is trying to cover.
If you fixed that, then you face the problem that the location isn't sent
unless the endpoint recognizes that the call it is placing is an emergency
call; but it doesn't know that without some more of -phonebcp, and without
location on the call, a downstream B2BUA or proxy can't figure out what is
an emergency call.  It goes on from there.  Bottom line is -phonebcp isn't
optional when used within a country that implements IP based emergency
calling.

Brian