Re: [RAM] Ramblings about "locator"

Stig Venaas <stig.venaas@uninett.no> Fri, 15 June 2007 08:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:23:18 +0200
From: Stig Venaas <stig.venaas@uninett.no>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] Ramblings about "locator"
Cc: ram@iab.org, Ved Kafle <kafle@nict.go.jp>

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 2007-06-15 05:03, Ved Kafle wrote:
>>> Marshall,

>>> address)
>>> Well, that horrible thought crossed my mind. I think I disagree
>>> with Jarno's comment, because as soon as an Ethernet address
>>> gets into a spanning tree it has become a locator (at level 2).
>>
>> So, the distinction between an identifier and a locator is dependent on
>> the avalaibility of routing/switching infrastructure. If networks
>> possess routing/switching insfrastructure based on a
>> identifier namespace, the identifier simultaneously functions as a
>> locator.

Yes, I would say that it functions as a locator, but I'm not sure I
would say that it is a locator. Does the fact that you know where all
the identifiers are located make them locators?

> My original RAMble (sorry) ended thus:
>
>  Maybe the essential point is that a locator can at least in
>  principle be mapped to topology and an identifier can't.

So I'm not sure exactly what "mapped to topology" should mean, but I
think I do. I would not say that MAC addresses can be mapped, their
values are not tied to the topology in any way.

Stig