[Raw] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-raw-use-cases-08: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 01 December 2022 10:24 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-raw-use-cases@ietf.org, raw-chairs@ietf.org, raw@ietf.org, corinna.schmitt@unibw.de, corinna.schmitt@unibw.de, suresh.krishnan@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2022 02:24:37 -0800
Subject: [Raw] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-raw-use-cases-08: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-raw-use-cases-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-raw-use-cases/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-raw-use-cases-08
CC @evyncke

Thank you for the work put into this document. I really like the common format
used for all the use cases.

Please find below one blocking DISCUSS points (easy to address), some
non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated even if only for
my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Corinna Schmitt for the shepherd's detailed write-up
including the WG consensus *but* with a very weird justification of the
intended status.

Please note that Suresh Krishnan is the Internet directorate reviewer (at my
request) and you may want to consider this int-dir reviews as well:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-raw-use-cases-08-intdir-telechat-krishnan-2022-11-28/
(I saw that Carlos has already replied)

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

## DISCUSS

As noted in https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/, a
DISCUSS ballot is a request to have a discussion on the following topics:

###

## COMMENTS

### Shepherd's write-up

The justification for the intended status is really weird and outdated (such
write-ups can be updated): ``` Standard Track is mentioned, but reading it I
assume “Informational” is meant. Request is send out. ```

### Quantitative approach ?

While this I-D is easy and interesting to read, it would have been more useful
if actual numbers were given per use case, e.g., bounded latency, max packet
loss, ...

### Section 1

Is the use of capitalized "Deterministic Networking" a reference to the work of
the DETNET WG ? Then, let's state it else suggest not to use capitalized words.
Later in the text "DetNet" is used, it would be nice to use a common naming.

### Section 4.3

Are "Ethernet cables" still used ? As opposed to optical fiber (notably for
noise reduction)

### Section 5

Suggest to add a reference to RFC 9317 "Operational Considerations for
Streaming Media"

### Section 7

Like Murray, I wonder whether DRIP & IPWAVE WGs were made aware of this section.

## NITS

### Section 2

s/Aircraft are /Aircrafts are /

## Notes

This review is in the ["IETF Comments" Markdown format][ICMF], You can use the
[`ietf-comments` tool][ICT] to automatically convert this review into
individual GitHub issues.

[ICMF]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments/blob/main/format.md
[ICT]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments