Re: [recipe] FYI: [admin-discuss] REMINDER: IETF carbon emission measurement workshops on 20 and 21 September

Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no> Sun, 25 September 2022 09:52 UTC

From: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:52:28 +0200
Cc: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, recipe@ietf.org
To: Hesham ElBakoury <helbakoury@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [recipe] FYI: [admin-discuss] REMINDER: IETF carbon emission measurement workshops on 20 and 21 September

Hi,

Below:

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 Sep 2022, at 21:07, Hesham ElBakoury <helbakoury@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I agree that that FCT is the right metric for congestion control. Please refer to Nandita and Nick McKeown 2006 paper
> https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~sylvia/cs268-2019/papers/rcp-ccr.pdf
>
> They proposed RCP (Rate Control Protocol) which minimizes FCT. But I am not sure if RCP is deployed in operator networks.

Thanks; I know this (cc. is my main background  :-)  )     No I don’t think this is deployed.

> Minimizing FCT can help reduce energy consumption by maximizing the sleep time of network resources such as routers/switches or their interfaces. The problem is that the activation cost of turning on these resources from a sleep state can be very expensive and time consuming which may disrupt running services. How we can achieve the best balance between FCT and energy consumption without impacting running services?

Good question!
First, I think we’d need a more general notion of energy cost than just measuring systems x and b. Could we derive a model?

I find it interesting to imagine if energy could be a cc metric. How would that have to look, as a useful general metric? (on par with: throughput, fct, packet loss ratio, jain’s fairness index….)

an “energy index“?

> In general there are papers in the literature which study the adaptive network topology problem where network resources are put to sleep to reduce energy consumption. I do not think any of these papers have solutions that operators can deploy in their network. Moreover, operators may not trust software to put network resources to sleep specially in critical parts of their networks.

depends….  if this software can save their money?  Also, trade-offs are less likely to be deployable than win-win schemes, or schemes which at least don’t trade performance…

> It is worth noting that there are papers which look into using optimization techniques (e.g.dynamic programming) in the data center to provide balance between energy consumption and FCT. Here is a recent one
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/2206.01360

Thanks!

> What IETF can do to address these issues?

At this point, IMHO, an RG would be a good idea.

Cheers,
Michael