Re: [recipe] Anything going to happen at IETF 75?

Ken Christensen <christen@cse.usf.edu> Wed, 29 April 2009 19:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:54:59 -0400
From: Ken Christensen <christen@cse.usf.edu>
To: recipe@ietf.org
Cc: Juergen Quittek <Quittek@nw.neclab.eu>
Subject: Re: [recipe] Anything going to happen at IETF 75?

Hello Juergen (and all):

I would like to add a few comments on item (a).  The power state MIB
that Juergen and Bruce discuss is here:

http://www.csee.usf.edu/~christen/energy/lcn08_2_proceedings.pdf

(appeared at IEEE LCN 2008 as a poster paper).  Tables 1 and 2 in the
paper might be interesting. This is a very preliminary work on the idea
of exposing power state via SNMP.  What are the MIB variables of
interest?  That is one important question.  Another question is how to
access the MIB of a sleeping host (without waking-up the host!). One
possible direction for this is a proxy.  This requires much more thought.

Exposing the power state is, I think, the first necessary step for
monitoring and controlling energy use of ICT (and maybe non-ICT as
well?) equipment.

Regards,

Ken Christensen
University of South Florida