Re: [regext] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-25: (with COMMENT)

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Fri, 01 September 2023 10:55 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 12:50:00 +0200
To: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search@ietf.org, regext-chairs@ietf.org, regext@ietf.org, tomh@apnic.net
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Subject: Re: [regext] Roman Danyliw's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-25: (with COMMENT)

Hi Roman,

please find my comments below.

Il 30/08/2023 14:16, Roman Danyliw via Datatracker ha scritto:
> Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search-25: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer tohttps://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you to Tero Kivinen for the SECDIR review.
>
> Thanks for address my DISCUSS feedback.
>
> I support Lars Eggert's DISCUSS position.
>
> ==
>
> ** Section 1.
>     The first objection concerns the potential risks of privacy
>     violation.
>
> Where are these privacy concerns summarized?  Could a reference be provided?

[ML] Guess you think your remark hasn't yet been addressed by the new
version.

Considering that the implications on privacy are presented in more
detail in the "Privacy Considerations" section, could it be enough to
rewrite that sentence as in the following ?

The first objection concerns the potential risks of privacy violations resulting from the use ofpersonal data and the detection of facts about an individual when the
requestor is not supported by lawful basis.

I'm not aware of any document describing those concerns. When I wrote
the "Privacy Considerations" section, I started from the threats listed
in RFC6973 and I tried to identify those which could fit in with the
reverse search.

Afterwards, RegExt considered that section exhaustive enough to conclude
the discussion about the privacy concerns.

Best,

Mario

--
Dott. Mario Loffredo