Re: [regext] Poll messages with unhandled namespaces (was Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-regext-change-poll-07.txt)

Martin Casanova <martin.casanova@switch.ch> Tue, 17 July 2018 09:11 UTC

From: Martin Casanova <martin.casanova@switch.ch>
To: Ulrich Wisser <ulrich@wisser.se>
CC: Patrick Mevzek <pm@dotandco.com>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 09:10:32 +0000
x-originating-ip: [129.132.139.41]
Subject: Re: [regext] Poll messages with unhandled namespaces (was Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-regext-change-poll-07.txt)

Hi Ulrich

We do have contracts yes. However experience shows us that some registrars just don't have the necessary technical skills or means to react on any changes we ask them to implement. To pull a change through, long dead lines must be granted and even after that, only a part of them actually got active. Many registrars only react after we don’t support the outdated options anymore and then call our support to ask why it fails, even though they were reminded several times.

In this cases customer relations will ask the technical team to make an exception for so and so registrar until he fixed his client which leads to more work having to configure opt out for single registrars. Also there is no standard way of triggering registry initiated messages in OTE yet.

So knowing this we were looking for a more elegant way than going through this hassle for every new poll extension we plan to implement. (That's the situation where clients cannot validate data from the registry)

To ask the registrars to ignore “unknown” extensions would be the same as asking them not to validate the poll responses at all or to at least skip poll messages for which validation fails due to unhandled name-spaces since this could occur any time a new poll extension is implemented.

If the extended poll messages are sent regardless of the configured login services, would that not contradict the idea that only the intersecting set of extensions configured in greeting and login are activated for a session? That’s how I understood Scott Hollenbeck examples but I may be wrong.

If there is a consent in the WG about these two last points I agree it is also an easy solution to just send the message and expect the clients to cope with it.

Martin