[regext] Fwd: Ideas to address the privacy implication of reverse search draft

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Wed, 23 December 2020 12:43 UTC

To: "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 13:43:01 +0100
Subject: [regext] Fwd: Ideas to address the privacy implication of reverse search draft

Hi Ali,

please find my comments inline.

Il 22/12/2020 07:33, Ali Hussain ha scritto:
> Hi Dr. Mario,
[ML] please simply Mario :-)

> Apologies for replying too late.
>
> First of all thanks for your detailed comments about the proposed
> tentative iea to make reverse search more privacy complaints keeping
> hrpc guidelines as reference.
>
> One possible new work in giving better privacy to reverse search would
> be to have privacy by design implementation in addition to federated
> access using HTTP and limiting the response. The proposed mechanism
> may use an integrity protection mechanism HMAC or standard
> authorization mechnaum like JSON web token to bring in additional data
> confidentiality and privacy benefits. This way we would be able to
> easily define the custom access control policies.
>
> What do you think about it.?

[ML] The WG has already adopted a document written by Scott Hollenbeck
(i.e. https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-openid
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-regext-rdap-openid>) about
how to implement a federated authentication in RDAP context. OpenId is
based on tokens exchanged between the various actors involved (e.g. RDAP
client, RDAP server, Authorization Server). In particular, the ID Token
is provided according the JWT format and contains information regarding
the user identification and a set of claims describing the user. The
RDAP server can then make identification, authorization, and access
control decisions based on local policies and the information included
in the ID Token.

Furthermore, the rdap-openid document defines RDAP specific claims in
addition to the standard ones. In my opinion, the combination of OpenId
and RDAP specific claims are appropriate to make an authorization
decision for a client submitting a reverse search. Especially the set of
values defined for the "purpose" claim seems to me comprehensive enough
to include purposes which might be used to legitimate a reverse search
request. Note also that the set of admissible "purpose" values can be
extended.

Therefore, it seems to me that your requirements/solutions have been
addressed by rdap-openid.

Definitively, reverse search is only one of the possible queries clients
can submit and servers can authorize so I don't think we need to add in
the reverse-search draft anything beyond what is stated by RFC7481 and
rdap-openid.

Neither we must explicitly require an RDAP provider to accept always a
reverse search only if previously authorized. As it is stated in section
7, we can only require that this capability must be compliant with the
rules about privacy protection each RDAP provider is subject to and each
RDAP provider is responsible for pursuing this objective.

Best,

Mario