[rfc-i] Future interaction of the Datatracker and the RFC Editor's tracker

dhc2 at dcrocker.net (Dave CROCKER) Tue, 06 July 2010 18:44 UTC

From: "dhc2 at dcrocker.net"
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:44:42 -0700
Subject: [rfc-i] Future interaction of the Datatracker and the RFC Editor's tracker

On 6/28/2010 3:48 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> -<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-alt-streams-tracker>  for the IAB,
> ISE, and IRTF streams

I have a basic question:

    Your proposal appears to take each (new) stream in isolation and invent a
state machine for it.  Why did you do this?

I would, instead, have expected that you would have taken the existing, tested
state machine, cloned it, and then modified it as appropriate, with careful
explanation for each change.

The key phrase, here is "existing, tested".  Start with a stable base of known
behavior, and then modify it as little as possible.  It is a much lower-risk
development path.

> The current list of RFC Editor tracker states is:
> Based on the drafts that Ed and I are writing, I believe that the following
> needs to happen simultaneously with the Datatracker being updated:

Has this been developed in conjunction with the RFC Editor?

I would expect that any proposal for changing an existing, critical operation
would be developed in concert with the folks responsible for that operation, to
ensure compatibility with their maintaining service.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking