[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

paul.hoffman at vpnc.org (Paul Hoffman) Tue, 24 July 2012 15:45 UTC

From: "paul.hoffman at vpnc.org"
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:45:47 -0700
Subject: [rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

On Jul 24, 2012, at 7:45 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> That being said: it doesn't really matter. Conforming HTML5 can easily be transformed into XHTML5. But if we do that, we'll need to change some of the rules currently in the draft, for instance with respect to closing elements (for some elements in HTML, such as <link>, it's not even optional).

The possibility of these kinds of changes argues for a stable (at least 10 years) format for the canonical format and multiple, possibly-changing additional formats. This is the basic logic in draft-hoffman-rfcformat-canon-others for using a long-lived profile of XML as the canonical, non-changing format.

--Paul Hoffman