Re: [Rfced-future] Style guide and other non-strategic things ** Consensus check on part of Issue 12: Is the person an advisor (RSA) or an Executive Editor (RSE) **

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Sun, 29 November 2020 22:31 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 11:31:10 +1300
Cc: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, rfced-future@iab.org
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Rfced-future] Style guide and other non-strategic things ** Consensus check on part of Issue 12: Is the person an advisor (RSA) or an Executive Editor (RSE) **

> On 30/11/2020, at 9:36 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 29-Nov-20 19:47, Christian Huitema wrote:
>>> On 11/28/2020 10:42 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>>>
>>> Depending upon what you mean by "look exactly like" below, the
>>> statement is either irelevant or does not match what I have seen as
>>> existing practice.
>>
>> I mean content and general organization. I do agree with you, Joel, that
>> the same style guide applies to all streams.
>
> Agreed, but when it gets tricky is if there's disagreement between the RPC and the stream (or authors) about interpretation of the style guide. There's no doubt that having an RSE provides a definitive tiebreaker in such a case. If we have an RSA model, I think we'd have to specify who would act as arbiter for style disagreements.

This appears to still be conflating separate things:

0) Who decides what the style guide is;

TBD

1)  Who determines how the style guide should be interpreted?

I believe everyone is agreed that this is the RPC on day-to-day basis.

2)  In the event the authors disagree with the determination above, who checks it and then tells anyone who disagrees with it that they need to accept it?

What some people are proposing is that the stream manager does this rather than the RS[E/A].

3)  What happens if the person(s) at 1) above disagrees with the decision at 2) above, and in particular what does that mean for consistency if 2) above is stream managers?

If 2) is an RSE then nothing happens and we assume consistency is in place by virtue of having a single person making the decisions.  If 2) is the stream managers then that can be fixed by giving the RPC (and anyone else?) the ability to appeal to 0) above for a consistency check.

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director