Re: [Rfced-future] Fwd: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model-11

Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch> Mon, 21 February 2022 17:57 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:57:15 +0100
To: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>
Cc: rfced-future@iab.org, Last Call <last-call@ietf.org>
From: Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch>
Subject: Re: [Rfced-future] Fwd: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model-11

Hi Wes and thanks for your review.  Please see below.

On 21.02.22 17:33, Mirja Kuehlewind wrote:
> FYI
>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> *From: *Wesley Eddy via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
>> *Subject: **[Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of
>> draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model-11*
>> *Date: *21. February 2022 at 16:28:43 CET
>> *To: *<tsv-art@ietf.org>
>> *Cc: *last-call@ietf.org, iab@iab.org,
>> draft-iab-rfcefdp-rfced-model.all@ietf.org
>>
>> Reviewer: Wesley Eddy
>> Review result: Ready with Issues
>>
>> This document has been reviewed as part of the transport area review
>> team's
>> ongoing effort to review key IETF documents. These comments were written
>> primarily for the transport area directors, but are copied to the
>> document's
>> authors and WG to allow them to address any issues raised and also to
>> the IETF
>> discussion list for information.
>>
>> When done at the time of IETF Last Call, the authors should consider this
>> review as part of the last-call comments they receive. Please always CC
>> tsv-art@ietf.org if you reply to or forward this review.
>>
>> I don't have any major concern with this, just a handful of small
>> comments that
>> are maybe more than "nits", so I selected 'Ready with Issues'.
>>
>> 1) Early the the document the concept of the RSWG is introduced and later
>> described in detail in 3.1.1.  I wasn't sure at first if this was
>> supposed to
>> be an IETF working group (in the GEN area) or if it was intended to be
>> "outside" of the IETF.  This seems more clear in section 3.1.1, but I
>> would
>> suggest thinking about if there's another term than "working group"
>> that might
>> fit, to distinguish it better.

The program did discuss this and came to the conclusion that because the
RSWG functions much like an IETF working group, "working group" was
appropriate.  While we recognized that there might be a small amount of
confusion, this could be easily rectified as people engage in the process.

>> 2) Section 3 says "that pass a last call for comments in the working
>> group and
>> broader community", but it doesn't provide any hint at what the "broader
>> community" is supposed to include.

This has been a point of discussion, and is covered in more detail in
Section 3.2.3.  Perhaps a forward reference would help.

>> 3) The RSAB seems very complex and cumbersome for its simple role of
>> basically
>> confirming what the RSWG outputs.
>> Since everyone on the RSAB is expected to be actively participating
>> in the
>> RSWG and would have weight in the RSWG consensus process, it isn't really
>> clear to my why this is felt to be necessary (to have a separate
>> organization
>> with extra meetings, rules, etc.).  It seems like the RSAB shouldn't
>> need to
>> do much of anything separately if the RSWG is working properly, and
>> RSAB is
>> extra bureaucracy.  I'm just asking if it's certain this is really
>> wanted and
>> needed, since it would be harder to unwind later.  Maybe the
>> reasoning why a
>> separate board (beyond the chairs) is needed to approve the RSWG
>> outputs could
>> be described.

The purpose of the RSWG is to allow an open forum to drive process.  The
purpose of the RSAB is to allow a brake on that process if the process
is going to break streams.  The reason RSAB members are expected to
participate in the RSWG is so that when a CONCERN is raised, it is
hopefully not a surprise.  If you have a way to simplify this
explanation in the document, that could be very helpful.

>> 4) Section 3.1.1.3 mentions that feedback on the RSWG chairs can go
>> to the
>> appointing bodies, but isn't clear how that would be collected
>> (nomcom tools?).

This is indeed left to the appointing bodies themselves to figure out.

>> 5) Is there any issue to be discussed of potential overlap between
>> co-chairs of
>> the RSWG, RSAB members, and other roles like being on the IESG, IAB,
>> or IRSG,
>> employees of the RPC, or other roles?  Can someone serve as RSWG
>> co-chair while
>> also on the IAB, for instance?  It seems to me like the people with
>> willingness
>> and bandwidth to do these things has always been a bit limited in
>> number, so
>> maybe worth considering.  Also, can both RSWG co-chairs work for the same
>> company?

This was not specifically discussed.  The group may wish to comment.

>> 6) In general, since this is adding extra things that didn't exist
>> before, it
>> would be nice if the introduction was more clear about what the
>> problem that
>> this is trying to solve is.  In other words, why is this formality
>> needed now,
>> when ~10k RFCs have been able to be published without it in the past.
>>  What
>> part isn't working well enough?  The introduction just talks about
>> there having
>> been meetings, and lists a lot of good properties that are desired,
>> but doesn't
>> seem clear which if any of these have been lacking or why these
>> changes address
>> that.

Rather than “what was the problem”, which we did investigate from time
to time, we spent more time on what people thought Good looks like, and
how they might reconcile their different visions. That's what you're
reading.

Thanks again for your review.

Eliot