Re: [Roll] impacts of rfc2460bis on draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Tue, 19 July 2016 10:31 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: roll@ietf.org, 6man@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 06:31:07 -0400
Cc: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roll] impacts of rfc2460bis on draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> The ROLL document draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo documents RFC6553 (a
    >> Hop-by-Hop critical option) and 6554 (a form of Source Routing Header, RH3).
    >> There is work on 6lo to allocate additional 6lowpan IPHC codes such that
    >> the work in ROLL:
    >> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-routing-dispatch/ can
    >> know what kinds of things we need to compress.
    >>
    >> A number of things are constrained by the need to always remove the
    >> RFC6553 Hop-by-Hop option RPI option which had been marked critical:
    >> i.e. drop packet if you don't understand it.
    >>
    >> As a result of the change in RFC2460bis, which says that intermediate hosts
    >> will in general not examine hop-by-hop options, but should just ignore
    >> them, we can make certain simplications to the useofrplinfo document.
    >> (rfc2460bis, section 4, page 8, "NOTE: While...)

    > You can already do that, because RFC7045 section 2.2 updates RFC2460:
    > " The IPv6 Hop-by-Hop Options header SHOULD be processed by
    > intermediate forwarding nodes as described in [RFC2460]."
    > which of course means that forwarding nodes MAY ignore HbH.

It's not what *I* want to do, it's what *I* can expect *others* to do.
So 7045 doesn't help me.

    > 00 - skip over this option and continue processing the header.

A type=10 option was allocated by RFC6553

I think it was a mistake.  We have discussed changing it as we add
compression for 6553, 6554 and IPIP (which would be a flag day anyway).
This was considered undesireable, because there was a desire not to leak
our headers; that the internet would drop our packets if we screwed up.

But, it turns out that the internet won't drop out packets, so we might
as well optimize the situation so that if we don't need to remove our
Hob-by-Hop header, then we don't need extra IPIP headers.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-