Re: [Roll] Add ROVR in DAO?

Rahul Arvind Jadhav <rahul.jadhav@huawei.com> Fri, 23 August 2019 14:34 UTC

From: Rahul Arvind Jadhav <rahul.jadhav@huawei.com>
To: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 14:34:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.61.109.81]
Subject: Re: [Roll] Add ROVR in DAO?

Hi Pascal,

As I understand the proposal is to:

1.       Remove the ROVR generation on the 6LBR on behalf of the 6LN.

2.       Use the ROVR from NS(EARO) directly in the DAO.

3.       This would eliminate Keep-Alive EDAR/EDAC during initial/first registration.

4.       This would eliminate the need for root node to set all ones in the ROVR field of keep-alive EDAR.
This seems optimal.
But there is one downside if the DAO is used for such purpose; Adding a 64-bit ROVR field in DAO would mean that in storing MOP all the parents maintain the ROVR field in their routing table. This is an immense overhead, since it impacts the routing entry size even if the RPL network needs to support just a single RUL.

Another question I have is,... In the Figure 2, EDAR is sent to 6LBR and DAO is sent to the Root. As I understand the DODAGID in the DIO will be the global IPv6 address of the Root (and not 6LBR) and thus DAO can be addressed to the Root. But how does 6LR get the address of the 6LBR to send the EDAR? (assuming in this case the Root and 6LBR are different network entities). Also it would be better to differentiate Root and 6LBR in the terminology section.

Regards,
Rahul