Re: [rsab] [Rswg] Errata report notification (Re: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC9280 (7795))

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 06 February 2024 21:58 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 16:58:21 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Jean Mahoney <jmahoney@amsl.com>, "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net>, RFC Editor <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, Eliot Lear <lear@lear.ch>
cc: RSWG <rswg@rfc-editor.org>, rsab@rfc-editor.org
Subject: Re: [rsab] [Rswg] Errata report notification (Re: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC9280 (7795))

Jean,

I don't think this is quite right and, unless there have been
change recently, it may not be consistent with what I have
observed over the years, even the last couple of years.  My
impression is that:

(1) According to RFC 9280, the RSAB consists of "stream
representatives".  Especially for the IETF Stream (and even more
especially for standards track and BCP documents), if the stream
representative were appointed for expertise in editorial policy
generally or RFC Series issues, they may not have the expertise
needed to make technical judgments on claimed errors or even
have more expertise than the RPC has about who would be the
right person or group to whom to refer the alleged error.  So I
don't see strong justification for the RSAB to be involved at
all except for documents that, perhaps because of age, the RPC
cannot figure out how to route or even to which stream the error
should be reported.

(2) If the RPC can identify a stream, and for the IETF Stream
(and maybe the IRTF or others) an area or active WG or
equivalent, it would seem far more efficient --and less of a
risk of missing something important-- if the report went to the
relevant AD and WG and perhaps to whomever has lead technical
(or technical coordination) responsibility for documents in that
stream.  At least as I read it, 9280 is quite clear that the
stream representative to the RSAB is not required to be also
hold that technical coordination role for the stream.

My impression has been that what I suggest below actually has
been the policy, at least until quite recently.

So, I would think that for technical errata, the distribution
should be

  To: authors, relevant stream technical contacts
  CC: reporter, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org

Where "relevant stream technical contacts" should be
	(where a relevant IETF WG is active): WG Chair(s),
	 responsible AD
	    and with the clear understanding that either of those
      can (and should if the situation is not completely
      obvious) include the WG in any discussion.
  (where there is an obvious WG, but it has closed):
    AD, former Chair(s) (potentially involving the WG
      mailing list if they think it appropriate)
  (where there is an obvious Area, but no easily
    identified WG Chair): ADs for Area
  (where even the Area is not obvious and for other
    streams):  IESG or Steam leadership unless they have
    designated someone else or some other process.

That said, I'd recommend against writing that down except,
possibly, as general guidance.  Instead, I think the RPC should
be tasked with exercising good judgment about who to consult
about particular errata (beyond the reporter and whatever
authors might be available), drawing from records about who
participated in AUTH48 (or predecessor processes) on the
relevant documents and in what roles as appropriate.  If they
want to informally consult Stream or other people before sending
out the errata correspondence at all, great, but, unless we like
increased bureaucracy and overloading people who are probably
already overloaded, that should not be a requirement either.

And I suggest, with general guidance --formal or informal--
similar to the above and, assuming that it is obvious to
everyone that the goal with an erratum that is identified as
technical is to competently determine whether the error actually
exists and the proposed remedy is correct, if we cannot trust
the RPC to get such contacts right, we have far worse problems
than errata handling.

This also raises another issue that _might_ be a RSWG-level
policy matter or might be left entirely to the Steams.   The
"editorial versus technical" distinction is fine for the RPC to
make and, especially if they are as conservative about the
former category in the future as I have experienced in the past,
as far as they should go.  But I think that, at the next stage
in the process (and especially for IETF standards track and BCP
documents), it would be helpful to explicitly divide the
technical ones into, e.g., minor/trivial and substantive.   For
the latter, we (and the errata process) should keep in mind that
documents that are approved and published by community consensus
--and represented externally has having community consensus--
should not be altered or updated (including errata approval
especially if we are going to make versions of documents with
approved errata incorporated) by the decisions of a handful of
people, working outside public view, about what they think the
community intended.    If that implies that "minor/trivial" gets
considered further through the errata process and everything
else goes immediately into "hold for document update", so be it.

thanks,
   john

--On Monday, February 5, 2024 13:56 -0600 Jean Mahoney