[rtcweb] Opus over the Internet?

<Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com> Thu, 30 August 2012 13:14 UTC

From: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
To: stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com, jmvalin@mozilla.com
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 13:14:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.163.22.219]
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: [rtcweb] Opus over the Internet?

Hi,

Stefan Hakansson wrote:

>And there seems to be no tests whatsoever (at least not involving
>humans) with actual channels introducing jitter and losses.

Are there any tests that actually compare different codecs, say Opus vs. G.722 vs. AMR-WB, in typical Internet use, meaning some loss and jitter? I suppose the performance is only partially related to the codec, and partially to other implementation decisions, so it might be difficult to compare apples-with-apples. But since people are arguing that Opus is an "Internet codec", it would be actually nice to see some results in this sense. Or does "Internet codec" mean something else?

Markus