Re: [rtcweb] Use of offer / answer semantics

Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> Wed, 07 September 2011 12:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 15:02:08 +0300
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Use of offer / answer semantics

На 07.09.11 03:59, Cullen Jennings написа:
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 9:49 AM, Emil Ivov wrote:
>>> 1) The media negotiations will be done using the same SDP
>>> offer/answer semantics that are used in SIP.
>>
>> Does this cover media format negotiation only or does it also
>> cover transport negotiation? I believe you once mentioned you were
>> a fan of "sending ICE candidates as they become available" and for
>> that to happen we'd probably need something more XMPP-like than
>> SIP/SDP-like.
>
> The SDP offer / answer cover both and in fact mix them together

Yup, hence my question.

> in a way that is a bit hard to untangle,

I suppose I was (again) thinking about something along the lines of
Jingle where the separation is quite straightforward spec-wise. I do
however understand your point about how this would make it complicated
to have singnaling-only gateways with SIP ... and I do agree that this
is important, so point taken.

Thanks for explaining!

Emil

--